Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone does for the late season. My blind is still out there and there is a small spring in front of it and im thinking of just goin out there and cuttin the ice. but i was thinking. If i cut the ice the birds probly wont come becuase they know its already frozen over. But unless there are alot of pacing birds that day(which there really never is).

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
If you build it... they will come!
(the trick will be keeping it open!)

This...

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Gets you this...

once you got your hole, use a spud to keep it open the morning of your hunt.

the worst way is to walk around your hole to break it up. You'll want to try to spud whole sections of the new ice and bring those neoprene elbow gloves. You'll push these sections under the other ice. the other thing to bring is a broad leaf rake. like cleaning a pool, just pull the rake to collect the smaller pieces.

think of it this way- if you're sitting over the only openwater a duck/goose sees... what do you think will be the outcome?!! it's the best "decoy" out there - love hunting over holes like this!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm lucky enough to be off the whole week before the late "opener".I'll be out with a chainsaw mid-week making a big hole and come back everyday to keep it open until I can hunt it.
My buddy and I have done this the last couple of years and it works great!There aren't as many birds left around,but the ones that are WILL find your hole.
The best thing about making it a few days prior to opening as it seems to be a nice safe place for them....until Saturday morning :evilsmile

Just watch out for ice fisherman :lol:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I can say I have never "cut" a hole in the ice - broken them but never cut them.

Does it wreck the chainsaw? Anything special you need to do to keep it good?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I never did anything special to the saw except sprayed it down with WD-40 afterwards to remove the water.It cuts like butter :) I've done it on 6 inches of ice without a problem.
Wear protective glasses so you don't get ice chips in your eyes and be prepared to get a little wet ;)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I've cut holes in the ice, but never that big. I may have to try it this year though

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Branta said:

This...

Every time I see that picture, I think there should be a caption under it like...."what not to do when standing on thin ice", or "Eino and Toivo go ice fishin'". Just joshin.....some guys will do anything for a few silly trash chickens (er...geese) :evil:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Branta said:

This...
Now that is impressive!!

Let me know if you want some help this year I love to help ;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If I remember correctly Branta DID fall in the water that day?!!???? Am i right??/ So word of caution, dont fall in... :lol:

I read something somewhere where a guy takes 2 gallons of prune juice and mixes it with 5 gallons of water and pours it on the ice. And the birds think it open water. Anybody remember this???

Kevlar

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Kevlar said:
If I remember correctly Branta DID fall in the water that day?!!???? Am i right??/ So word of caution, dont fall in... :lol:
My partner did that last year.We were pushing the chunk under,I was in the water and he was on top,right as the last edge went under he slipped and went in head first :lol:
It was only about 2 1/2 ft deep,lucky for him he had his wading belt on and his water proof coat,he shot out of there so fast the only thing wet was hat and his hair.
If that didn't hurt his feelings ,the ribbing I gave him(and am still giving him), DID hurt :lol: :evilsmile

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
WOW! I'm Impressed with the recall!

and yes, I DID fall in!! sucked bad but it was a good little exercise for me to appreciate how ugly it could get if the conditions were different! what if I was in a boat? how would I pull start a motor? how would I get back into a now half flooded boat? -lucky for me the water was only 2-3 feet deep across this whole section. I can tell you though that I made a bee line for the truck and in that short 30-40 second sprint to the truck right at shore, I couldn't undo my own wader buckle!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
we were able to move some pretty big sheets, but it took three of us and some patience (let the water weight help you snap it off and down.) most were about plywood sheet size. alot of work for sure - but sometimes you have to make your own luck! If you look closely at that bird remmers holding you'll notice a band on one leg and a yellow tarsal band on the other!

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help. ill be out there this weekend cut threw the ice. hopefully i didnt wait to long.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If there are ducks in the area, nothing beats cutting out your own little pool. The ducks often suicide dump into what they think is the only open water available. I have had them even land on the ice 30 yards away. A couple tips, yes push cut away ice underneath the ice if you can. Try to break pieces as large as possible and push them under, otherwise you get a pile of broken ice on the edge of your pool, doesn't look too natural and often the shards catch the glare from the sun. I never have done the chain saw thing, that is impressive. If you have a shaker duck, definitely use it, it will keep the water moving and the pool open. I think you can get them for about $60. If not, string some dekes up with fishing line and keep jerking them to get movement in the pool and to avoid the freeze up. Regualry check your dekes, they will start to freeze up and glare too. Most importantly, enjoy the fact that you are duck hunting, because the next 10 months are painful waiting! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
If you use a chain saw to cut holes a hole in the ice make sure there is no bar oil in it. You will contamenate the water with Bar oil and get oil all over the waterfowl using your new water hole. I use to spear threw the ice and learnt that purty quick.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Another option to get rid of the oil and gas film on the surface is to get a book of matches and just throw a match onto.....................I'm kidding......don't do that!!!!

Roll a black tarp on the ice, put snow around the edges of the tarp and a lot of times if theres birds in the area they will drop in close enough to whack. Sometimes they drop right onto the tarp......not as effective as the chain saw trick but its a lot dryer!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts