Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately opening weekend was big swing and a miss on the public land I hunt in southwest michigan. Had a solid morning yesterday and called in two decent sized toms from deep tinder into shooting range in the field edge I was set up on. My hen decoy actually seemed to spook and flush them before I could get a shot off (sticking with mouth and box calls from now on). Convinced it is better having the tom investigate the call than commit to a visible solo decoy.

Anyways due to work I can no longer hunt for the rest of the week. My tag allows for the June 1-7 hunt slot as well. I have never hunted this late in the season so I was wondering if strategies change for late season hunts (are hen clucks and yelps) still effective or are toms less vocal. Really hoping to bag a bird so any late season hunting advice would be appreciated. Hopefully there's still enough public land toms to go around come june!

·
Registered
20,055 Posts

Anyways due to work I can no longer hunt for the rest of the week. My tag allows for the June 1-7 hunt slot as well. I have never hunted this late in the season so I was wondering if strategies change for late season hunts (are hen clucks and yelps) still effective or are toms less vocal...............
According to my memory no one has legally hunted the 1st week of June before.
Guessing you have hunted the last week of May before and know that finding a tom willing to respond to a call on public is going to be difficult.
Best of luck and hope a tom gets your blood pumping.

L & O

Reactions: B Newman

·
Registered
800 Posts
In 20+ plus years of hunting NY, CT, OR and MI, I have tagged more birds after May 20th than any other time. The main key is keep scouting the entire time, so you know where they roost and their travel patterns.

They can gobble just as hard in late May as they do in early April - but you need to be close enough to hear them. The trees in full leaf drastically muffle the distance you can hear.

The biggest drawback to hunting in late May and early June is the heat, and the other problem is the mosquitos - be sure to carry a Thermocell.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.