Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out this afternoon for a little bit and managed to bag one bird. This guy must have rode the short bus because he flushed right back towards me out of the cedar swamp and I centered a Fiochhi right on him. With the recent thaw, I found most of the birds deep in the swamps and in the heavy cedars. Plenty of tracks around the bases of the pines and lots of ground roosts, but the birds were still flushing out of the trees.

Grady with Big Male Grey Phase Grouse

Male Grey Phase

I will be getting out quite a bit over the next few days and will hopefully be able to bag a few more.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Made it out this morning with Randy and his father and managed to bag one more. Not sure what happened with my camera, but no pictures to be found. The bird today was a nice grey phased male and he had a slightly lighter colored tail fan.

So, that makes it two days in a row. I will try to go three for three tomorrow as I will be getting out with Kush and Ruger. With all of this rain we've had, it sure is wet in the swamps, but that is where the birds are at, so that's where I'll be.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Vizsla Hunt Dog said:
Thanks guys. Made it out this morning with Randy and his father and managed to bag one more. Not sure what happened with my camera, but no pictures to be found. The bird today was a nice grey phased male and he had a slightly lighter colored tail fan.

So, that makes it two days in a row. I will try to go three for three tomorrow as I will be getting out with Kush and Ruger. With all of this rain we've had, it sure is wet in the swamps, but that is where the birds are at, so that's where I'll be.
The cars packed, see ya at 8am. :chillin:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
GVSUKUSH said:
The cars packed, see ya at 8am. :chillin:
Good luck tomorrow fellas... Since Kush wont be working tomorrow, I wont be drinking at noon... maybe I'll sneak out for a little walk with the dogs.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Vizsla Hunt Dog said:
I got out this afternoon for a little bit and managed to bag one bird. This guy must have rode the short bus because he flushed right back towards me out of the cedar swamp and I centered a Fiochhi right on him. With the recent thaw, I found most of the birds deep in the swamps and in the heavy cedars. Plenty of tracks around the bases of the pines and lots of ground roosts, but the birds were still flushing out of the trees.

Grady with Big Male Grey Phase Grouse

Male Grey Phase

I will be getting out quite a bit over the next few days and will hopefully be able to bag a few more.
Tell me abouth that sharp sxs. 20 ga - what make/model?
Beautiful bird!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
We also managed to find some pheasants as well that day with Jeff, the dogs managed to find four of them in about 1/2 hour running through the sorgum and did a great job tracking them. Three of the native birds flushed wild and I should of had one of them, 40 yard+ going away, but I still should have had it. We managed one bird after missing easy shots at it and finding it again.

I'll start a thread on what Jeff's next dog will look like as well as possibly mine and maybe even my dad!;)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The gun is a Beretta 471 Silverhawk with English stock and 26" bbls. It's got a really nice feel to it and it fits like a glove.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts