Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulations to Donnie (aka bluewood, Elvis, and other unmentionables) on his late season doe taken in the snow on Saturday Dec. 10th! While the rest of us were inside where its nice and warm, reading Nostalgic Lore of the Bow, and sipping coffee, ol Donnie was braving the snow and slinging slivers. Way to go ol boy, now tell us the story! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
LOL-
Thanks Jimbo. It's been a challenging season for me. I had blown some opportunities at a couple big mossy horns in the U.P...and hunted very hard around my cabin in Newaygo county... saw lots of bucks, but things just weren't coming together for me this year. -Finally this past weekend, I hung a stand on some private property that I have permission to hunt, north of my place. It was on an Oak Ridge, full of acorns. It looked like the deer had been digging in the snow for acorns under the multi-trunk oak, that I was hunting out of. After a couple hunts of seeing nothing...finally Saturday evening about 5 p.m...four whitetailed critters came through, and started digging for acorns. I was lucky enough to slip a wood & blade through the closest one, bout 20 yards away. The doe ran a couple hundred yards or so, and thank God for snow, because it really helped with the tracking job. In fact we had a little too much snow. It had snowed that night, and covered my blood trail. We had to brush the snow out of the tracks to find blood, and make sure we were on the right track every 20 yards or so. Thanks to Dave, (my brother)-he picked up the trail a couple times when I thought we'd lost it. The tracks would join with some others making it difficult to distinguish, my deer from the rest. But, Dave's a blood hound, (least his nose is bout the same size as one... and that unique large snout paid off,- just like when Rudolph saved Christmas with his nose...I felt like Santy Clause himself.."That nose...that beautiful nose!")- The doe was not a huge monster deer, but one still worthy of an archer's arrow...and this time of year, I feel quite lucky, and blessed just to be able to bring home some venison- A "snow doe," as Jimbo Larsen called it. (Dave had killed a doe with his recurve in November by the way)-- It's tough, cold, and sometimes even desolate... but I do love that December bowhunting.- :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to check your family tree when you get a chance, I believe ol Dave (with his blood hound nose) may be kin of the dog that marked his territory on your family tree! :lol: :yikes: :corkysm55

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good job Donnie;)

I struggled all year long; between bad weather/wind directions, coyotes, inconsiderate people and just plain poor judgement I only managed to take one small deer. I hunted hard from the last week of September (bear huntng) right up to gun season. Although the last week of bow season before gun hunting I missed a nice 8pt buck that still haunts me. I just could not get close enough to get a good shot. Oh well I have a few more days, although I am not much of a cold weather hunter it looks like I might be this year.

Again great job on the late season harvest!
Jeff

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Congrats Bluewood! Nothing better than a Late Season Snow Doe!
Well. maybe a Late Season Snow Buck, but that doesn't rhyme.. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks Fellas-
Continued success to all of you, as well. You ol deer, bear , moose, bison slayin, traditional bow totin, rabbit releasin, friends of mine-! (-ya'll my heroes!!) :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts