Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be bow hunting this Dec. What are the rules about hunter orange? Do I need to wear it during ML and/or late-firearm?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Bow hunters are never required to wear orange. However, if you are hunting during a firearm season its probably a good idea. If you are on state land I would for sure wear something.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Bow hunters are never required to wear orange. However, if you are hunting during a firearm season its probably a good idea. If you are on state land I would for sure wear something.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that bowhunters ARE required to wear orange during any deer firearm season:confused:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that bowhunters ARE required to wear orange during any deer firearm season:confused:

You're correct. You are required to follow the rules and regulations of whichever season you're hunting in, regardless of weapon of choice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't think you needed to wear orange (even though it's probably a good idea) if you were late season bowhunting??? If you do, I have been wrong for years and will have to start wearing some orange.

Chris

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I don't think you are correct Dedgoose.

If you are muzzleloader hunting you must wear orange. If you are bow hunting you do not need to:

When hunting in any season with a license that authorizes the use of a firearm, you must wear Hunter Orange except as noted below. During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters. The garment, featuring Hunter Orange, must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in Hunter Orange, are legal.
Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow, wild turkey, or to persons engaged in the sport of falconry. It does not apply to archery or crossbow bear hunters or to persons who are stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote or fox. Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear Hunter Orange except during the early antlerless, youth firearm, and the November firearm deer seasons.

·
Registered
175 Posts
"You may not hunt with any device, or trap with any firearm, on any lands during daylight hunting hours from Aug. 15-April 30 unless you wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear of highly visible orange color, commonly referred to as Hunter Orange. When hunting in any season with a license that authorizes the use of a firearm, you must wear Hunter Orange except as noted below. During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters. The garment, featuring Hunter Orange, must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in Hunter Orange, are legal.
Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow, wild turkey, or to persons engaged in the sport of falconry. It does not apply to archery or crossbow bear hunters or to persons who are stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote or fox. Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear Hunter Orange except during the early antlerless, youth firearm, and the November firearm deer seasons."

The way I read it, after November, hunter orange is not required for bowhunters. That doesn't mean it's not a smart thing to do though! Stay safe!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll still wear my hat and vest. I was concerned more about the visibility of other bow hunters. I try my hardest to steer clear of any orange as I make my way to my spot.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rule or no rule, if i'm walking out in the woods (on state land) where someone else has a gun (for hunting), I'm gettin some blaze on...

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
You can bowhunt from Oct 1st to Jan 1st.
You must wear hunter orange from Nov 15th to Nov 30th while bowhunting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts