Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly sitting out the entire late bow season I finally had a chance to get out and fill a doe permit. This has been a great late fall and winter, but unfortunatly I haven't had very much time to hunt Michigan's late season. Typically I try to hunt as much in December as I can, but again this year free time is been hard to come by.

Knowing I had the whole day Saturday to hunt, I practiced Friday for a half hour shooting with heavy winter cloths on, most years I don't stop shooting, but with limited time this year, I hadn't shot since Late November. With the chance to hunt all day on Saturday I made the most of it. After seeing several deer that morning I re-postioned my Ol' Man climber for the night hunt and it paided off. I started seeing deer around 5pm and about 5:20 the first decent doe gave me a 25 yards quartering shot. I made the best of it and double lunged her, she never new what hit her and just jumped away 30 yards and stood there until she dropped dead. I'm praying I get one more hunt before the years over, but if I don't I ended the season on a good note..

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Congrats, I liked hearing about the practicing up with winter cloths on;) That looks like a nice doe that should provide some good food through out the winter:D

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
Congrats Dennis on the doe, and those were some nice fish in the other post.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Congrats Dennis - there's nothin' like barbequed backstraps!

I know what you mean about not getting out for the late season. Where does the time go? Work has been so busy that I haven't gotten out at all - yet. One of my goals is to get a deer in every month that you can hunt 'em. Oct, Nov are easy. I've been lucky to bag a few in December. January is the tough one because you only get one or two days, depending on the year. This year it's only one day. This will be the only day I can get out for late bow hunting but you can bet I'll be in my swamp on state land come Thursday morning.

Happy New Year everyone!
John E.
Ypsilanti

·
Premium Member
13,463 Posts
.....did you get her weighed (field dressed)? or did you get her reliably aged?

I'm always interested in good does......and that gal looks like a shooter for sure.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fairfax1, as with all deer on this property the bottom jaw comes out and is marked and later aged. We like to keep track of all ages bucks or does on this land, it's fun to look back on and its really not that much work.. I did not have her weighed, but she was one of the bigger ones.

Land owners in the area never shot many doe, to many people's liking that tune has now changed somewhat. Myself and a few others have contacted other land owners in the area, trying to install a few minor restrictions. I think now we have some good intrest, and were looking to take it a step futher next year. On three different farms 160, 210, and 80 acres last year there were 21 bucks shot most of them yearlings, so far this year, one 2 year old on the 80, three 2+ year old and 1 yearling on the 210 and one yearling shot by a youngster off the 160... and on top off that I know the doe count is in the upper teens...

We've had all the early does taken aged already, we had three does over 5 years old and one monarch that was 9-10 years old, you should see the wear on her teeth...As most hunters know them older does are so smart to tree stands its tough to get them in bow range. Out of 8-10 deer that came by me the other night, and me at nearly 25 feet up this old doe only took her eyes off me once, and that was just for a split second, just long enough for good sqeeze....;) By just taking a quick look at the jaw of this last doe I'm guessing she is 3, but I'm no expert yet so well have to wait and see..

·
Premium Member
13,463 Posts
Thanx for that input. I'll share my experience (any excuse for a deer story):

I took a couple of does with my bow during the first week of December one f.d. at 142#, and the other at 108# or 109# (memory is fading). I took their heads to the DNR at Rose Lake and they were aged at 3.5 for the 142# and 1.5yr for the 108#.

My reaction was: I thought the 142 would be older than 3.5.....because so many of our does fall in the 105 to the 112 range I thought surely this very rare 142 must be much older.

And, because the 1.5 had a single fawn with her when I shot her.... that means she was bred when whe was a fawn in November/December of 2002. I think that is a sign of a well fed healthy animal...if she can conceive and bear at such an early age.

This morning I filled out my last tag with a doe that f.d. at 108#....she, along with another mature doe, came along at 8:20. Saw a total of 11 this morning between 7:30 and 8:30.

Always hate to season end.....but I am a tad tired. Had 55 sits this year ...between October 19th and December 30th.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congrats on a sucsessful Late season hunt, mechanical head
You just got to love that double lung shot.
That looks like one Large Healthy deer.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Good job! I didn't get out at all in the late season. I will be sure to make time for next year. The deer season goes by way to fast!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Dennis Strikes Again!

That's a great way to wind up your season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts