Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a problem with a hunter on a niehboring property tresspassing and I have talked with the landowner. We both agreed if the guy needed to to recover a deer to just call me on my cell and I would come help, no problems, I just dont want people walking through while I am hunting.

So sunday morning around 8:45 I see my twin button bucks come through. I have been watching them behind my place since they were born. Cute little guys...and very healthy. So I see them prance off and out of sight and then "boom boom boom"...three gunshots. Oh no. I gather up my things and take a walk. I find one dead on my property, and back-track the blood to about 50 yards off my property behind my next-door niehbor's house (who does not hunt). I look around for somebody and yell "hello?" Nobody. So I wait for a bit and nothing. It had a huge great blood trail and the deer only went 75 yards.

So I go to church...get back home...deer still there. No phone call. I hunt like normal until 5:45, no phone call. I go check and the deer is still there.

Was this guy poaching? I was unable to get ahold of the old man who owns the property, but I will stop by and see him tonight. Should I have called RAP on this? What would you do? I hate it when people shoot my little guys...:(

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Well, I don't know what I would have done, but I can tell you what I wouldn't have done. I would not have used my antlerless tag on a deer that I did not shoot. That is a violation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You could have contacted the DNR, they would have come out to your property and took your report, and issued you a kill tag for that deer. You did not have to use yours. I have had that problem before. and they would have a report on file for future problems.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I guess you have to think about the fact that you're missing some facts about what happened. It is possible that the guy shot one of them to fill his anterless tag, and didn't realize the bullet passed thru and hit the other one too. Maybe he watched his deer run and fall and recovered it without seeing what happened to the second one. Who knows?

But, if he was trespassing you should have reported it (although te DNR has told us on two occasions that if the trespasser isn't still in sight they won't send a CO out).

As far as tagging the one with your own tag, great motive but still illegal. Not going to judge you on that one, just be prepared to pay the fines if you get caught.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I dont think most people know that they can not tag a deer they did not shoot.

I would have just left it. I think.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Tag it, deed is done and meat was not wasted. You did the right thing...its called common sense....way to many people lack it nowadays.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bottom line is I didnt want to waste the meat. By the time it would have been taken care of by the DNR the animal would have been wasted. With the winter storm we had there is no way an officer would have been out last night (on a sunday night). In addition, even if I would have gutted it and brought it back, there is no way, really, of proving that I didnt shoot it and I am just trying to get the DNR to tag a button buck I shot.

I always favor person-to-person resoultions before calling in the calvary. In my opinon its always better to go the person first (and twice if needed) before bringing in the big guns. It may be an accident. I certainly wouldn't appreciate people throwing out a red flag immediately if I were on the other end.

It's crazy how some people just call in on things before they even figure out what happened. A waste of the DNR's time in most cases, as if they weren't understaffed already. Besides, they are too busy right now writing tickets for people throwing their old pumpkins in their backyard...

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Bottom line is I didnt want to waste the meat. By the time it would have been taken care of by the DNR the animal would have been wasted. With the winter storm we had there is no way an officer would have been out last night (on a sunday night). In addition, even if I would have gutted it and brought it back, there is no way, really, of proving that I didnt shoot it and I am just trying to get the DNR to tag a button buck I shot.

I always favor person-to-person resoultions before calling in the calvary. In my opinon its always better to go the person first (and twice if needed) before bringing in the big guns. It may be an accident. I certainly wouldn't appreciate people throwing out a red flag immediately if I were on the other end.

It's crazy how some people just call in on things before they even figure out what happened. A waste of the DNR's time in most cases, as if they weren't understaffed already. Besides, they are too busy right now writing tickets for people throwing their old pumpkins in their backyard...
If you feel that way, and that is fine to have your own opinion but.......why did you ask "what would you do"?:confused:

Rest that I would say has already been said.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Shoot it then tag it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just curious if others had experienced this and was generally considered "the right thing to do". My common sense says put a bullet in it and make no waste.

Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Again, from a legal perspective, not necessarily a "common sense" perspective:
Michigan DNR website said:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-74285--,00.html]

Tagging Big Game and Furbearers

Immediately after killing a deer, bear, elk, or turkey, you must validate your kill tag and fasten it to the antler, lower jaw or lower leg in such a manner that the tag remains securely attached to the animal. Do not stick or wrap the kill tag to the antler of a deer.
The best way to attach a kill tag is to lay a strong piece of wire or cord across the sticky side of the kill tag so the tag can be folded in half. Tie the wire or cord to the animal. Make sure the kill tag is completely legible and visible for inspection.
It is unlawful to tag an animal you did not legally kill.
*emphasis included in original.

Shooting a dead deer does not make it legal to tag. My point was only that announcing you violated the law in a public forum might not be the best idea.

Purely a guess, but if you had called the RAP line and told them your plan, perhaps they would have given you the okay to go ahead and tag it. Then you're legit and doing what you think is right.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Again, from a legal perspective, not necessarily a "common sense" perspective:
*emphasis included in original.

Shooting a dead deer does not make it legal to tag. My point was only that announcing you violated the law in a public forum might not be the best idea.

Purely a guess, but if you had called the RAP line and told them your plan, perhaps they would have given you the okay to go ahead and tag it. Then you're legit and doing what you think is right.

Best Regards,
Byron :)
Hey I'm with you 100%............Dawg I think that thing is still twitching better put it down. :lol:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not exactly sure what i would do, other than over react and be pissed off at the (neighbor or whoever). It would be very Hard, however to let it go to waste.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i kindof had the same situation this weekend up at the property we lease. i was walkin back from a morning hunt, i went out in the dark no light so i couldnt tell at the time but on my way back in i notice acouple clumps of hair and blood, no tracks from nobody around my guess it was a road hunter.
anyways i got the ok from my neighbor to go onto his land and keep tracking it and find out if it was wounded or what was goin on, after a 300+ yrd tracking effort i decided that the deer wasnt fatally hit so i decided to stop.

i didnt really think about how i would go about the situation after i found the deer if i would have found it till i read this thread.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I have had a problem with a hunter on a niehboring property tresspassing and I have talked with the landowner. We both agreed if the guy needed to to recover a deer to just call me on my cell and I would come help, no problems, I just dont want people walking through while I am hunting.

So sunday morning around 8:45 I see my twin button bucks come through. I have been watching them behind my place since they were born. Cute little guys...and very healthy. So I see them prance off and out of sight and then "boom boom boom"...three gunshots. Oh no. I gather up my things and take a walk. I find one dead on my property, and back-track the blood to about 50 yards off my property behind my next-door niehbor's house (who does not hunt). I look around for somebody and yell "hello?" Nobody. So I wait for a bit and nothing. It had a huge great blood trail and the deer only went 75 yards.

So I go to church...get back home...deer still there. No phone call. I hunt like normal until 5:45, no phone call. I go check and the deer is still there.

Was this guy poaching? I was unable to get ahold of the old man who owns the property, but I will stop by and see him tonight. Should I have called RAP on this? What would you do? I hate it when people shoot my little guys...:(
Sounds more like your neighbors problem rather than yours. The deer was shot on his property, if I'm reading it right, and deer season was in, why would you jump conclusions and call any body?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.