Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last day for wc today, farewell my little friends, it has been an enjoyable season.
Thank you for sitting so well for a young pup, thank you for filling in the voids during the day when the grouse seem to disappear, thank you for saving all those grouse when you flush mere seconds before a ruff and I let my guard down :rant:, thank you for giving me the feeling that my woods are healthy because of your presence.
Have a safe journey on your way south, see you again in a few months.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hate to see 'em go.

Good luck little guys.

·
Registered
438 Posts
They are nostalgic aren't they.
Safe travels my little Russet Fellow. Be careful in those Louisiana swamps and eat lots of worms. Its been a good season

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Damn! The season is going by way to quickly! :(
I had that exact thought yesterday.

As soon as it stops raining, I am heading out. Then I will fix the horse stalls, put away the lawn chairs, take the mower off the tractor and then do the grocery shopping. (Hey, Meijers is open all night)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Very nice post. Thank you for sharing. I feel the same way. A part of me also goes south, when woodcock season is over.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Last day for wc today, farewell my little friends, it has been an enjoyable season.
Thank you for sitting so well for a young pup, thank you for filling in the voids during the day when the grouse seem to disappear, thank you for saving all those grouse when you flush mere seconds before a ruff and I let my guard down :rant:, thank you for giving me the feeling that my woods are healthy because of your presence.
Nice and thoughtful sentiments. Woodcock certainly made my bird hunting season this year. Hunted yesterday and today and limited out both days - roughly Baldwin/Harrison latitudes. Birds for the most part were in very wet and fairly open woods with an understory of brambles, sparse waist high bushes, weeds etc. Saw more splatter/birds in two covers then I've seen in a decade.
Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
3,960 Posts

You just brought a tear to my eye.......:sad:

They sure were a good time this year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They certainly save the day when the grouse seems scarce in the covers! Especially when we run into flight birds.

Nice thoughts....I must also thank those flights of sandhill cranes we heard & spotted flying way up high while in Montana and Upper Michigan. The short eared owl my young setter pointed out west and the look on her face when it flushed. The accomodating sharptail that held for my pup's first point on one & then falling to my shot. The beautiful fall colors, especially those red maples. Finally the two chances at true doubles on WC my setter gave me the this past Saturday. Focused on one bird each time and was fortunate to get one from each but the thrill was still there.

Another fine season!

·
Registered
291 Posts

I couldn't have said it better myself. I hate it when the woodcock are gone, the woods seems to be way too quiet and empty. It also lets me know that ugly white stuff will soon be on the way.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

Amen Brother.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea - for the fed wing survey and walking survey I was out today as well.
Usually my northern Wisc locale I seldom see birds this late in the season along the Wisc river corrodor.
Any case in about 2 hours came across 8 doodles and took 2. Birds were running and pretty skiddish.

This was the best season for bird counts as well as for the bag I've had in about 20 years.

What's remarkable about this is my location has had a severe drought , August I believe we never saw a drop of rain.
And some of you guys had reported a drop in birds as well.
My neighbor tags them , in our conversation last night , he saw a drop of birds where he hunted , but IMO I know he doesn't hunt them like I do. ;)

Last year I bagged a Loiusiana bird (tagged) so they really do fly south!!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What!?! This was you a year ago,

2ESRGR8:
"I walked into one of my grouse covers in late October and moved 16 woodcock in 45 minutes. Just walked the dog out of there, it was almost frustrating."

You've changed man
You've changed

·
Registered
615 Posts
I thought yesterday was the last day. Me and the dog had a talk yesterday about the woodcock and what a great year it was for me and the young dog. Then I'm working away today and i look at my phone and it said Nov 2. I was out of there and in the woods in 45 minutes. Told everyone i was sorry but couldn't stay. THe birds were a liuttle thin but managed to scratch 2 down.

Hope the birds have a safe flight & come back good and healthy.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Well said Scott, and I couldn't agree more.

Sunday, myself and a new bird dog guy and member of this forum, RecurveRX, hit an SGA North of Lansing for woodock. My partner shot his first woodcock, and first first wild bird over a dog on point (my Major). Needless to say, it was a moment to remember! Not only that, he killed a rooster shortly thereafter in a different cover!
Congrats Mike!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I was driving down from the NLP this evening and I noticed the full moon. I wished them all a nice trip. We (the 2 dogs and I) had an exceptional woodcock season. They are great birds for young dogs. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I went up yesterday, I just couldn't let the season go without one more day. I've been working a new dog this year and he has been great. I've had him on woodcock all season, great wild bird exposure for sure. It was a little wet in the morning, but the weather cleared up for the afternoon hunt. I scratched down a few. The season goes by way too fast. Here is a picture from yesterday-

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I only got to get once this year, the young pup found 1 woodcock in the rain. I wish I could have gotten out more, but have been spending my time trying to kill something a little bigger (Deer). I will hopefully get out for the late pheasant hunt. Not to say I will see any but will give it a try. Like others have mentioned the season is going by way to quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts