Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I've just been lucky (or improved my skills) but it seems like the average size bass I've been catching is bigger this year than the past few years in the lakes I fish. I don't panfish but have seen a lot more large bluegill and sunfish around this year as well. Caught a lot of rock bass over 8" this year as well. Wen't out from 8-9:30pm tonight with my fiance and we caught one 19" largemouth, two 16", two 15", two 14", and one 8" rock bass. Was a fun night!

Anyone else think the fish are larger this summer? I'm guessing with the lack of fish caught through the ice and the early spring (longer growing season) there is a larger forage base for the largemouths.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
388 Posts
Larger pike, like crazy larger, maybe the warm winter/spring had
something to do with it???
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've caught a few dozen pike while bass fishing this year. Most of them on a drop shot rig, nothing big but average is about 24". Biggest this year was 30".

got any tips for targeting some bigger pike?

·
Registered
70 Posts
We've noticed an increase in girth but not length. We've caught some HUGE bass but only line up to 12 or 13 inches. Just caught a largemouth Wednesday night that I could not fit two hand around his belly, but was only 12". Guess I need to find some new lakes to find the longer fish.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I don't target bass but the one I have caught have been a little larger... Now the gills I have caught have been on the larger size... the average for me has been 8 to 10"

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have had a great year for bass and gills thus far. Took the majority on my fly rod using nymphs. Some very large bass and real hog gills with many going 8 to 11 inches.

·
Banned
848 Posts
Done really well on the gills this year, some very nice ones. I think they are eating very well. I heard something on the radio about the higher temperature causing more and larger bug hatches . Makes sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do most of my fishing in the lakes around waterford. Most are part of the clinton river drainage system. The rest of my fishing is done on some small remote public lakes in lapeer county.

·
Premium Member
6,675 Posts
I've caught a few dozen pike while bass fishing this year. Most of them on a drop shot rig, nothing big but average is about 24". Biggest this year was 30".

got any tips for targeting some bigger pike?

Bigger lures = Bigger fish... Try a 8" swimbait

1 - 10 of 10 Posts