Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of you will probally know the lake i am talking about but there is a big bass tournament comeing to it in a couple of weeks . i was on the water all weekend had a good catch of walleye on the main lake water temps 60 but in the chanels was upper 60 to 70 after the sun warmed things. chanels were full of gills and i noticed the large mout bedding every bed along the edges had a large female on it and they were protecting the beds i caught one then felt bad because it was easy pickings . and then i started thinking of the tournament comeing up there with the beds full of active fish and i am sure they will be flipped at and caught i am sure it one thing to catch and realase in the same spot but what about the fish that get tossed in theh live wells and brought to the scales. i know this is nothing new but it just done seem very sportsman like . i have fished in alot of bass tournaments with are local gang but . i never liked the 1st weeks of the season people see the fish on the beds and see dollar signs . and dont try to tell me that they go back to there beds it miles from weigh in . i am just wondering if anyone else has an issue with this.???

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yep, Mike is right.... those bass will be long gone from their beds before tournament time. The smaller males may still be around, but the hens will be gone. Good luck in the tournament. I hope the winds stay down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea that is probally rite the ones on there beds will be gone by then i did catch large mouths in the main lake some must wait till the main lake temps warm up and some choose to go in and spawn in the chanels i know the small mouth will bed in the sand on the main lake caught some they were all ready squirtin in the boat and the females were fat . i guess mother nature will take care of the large mouth she has for many years now

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was also up there and seen the Largemouth bass on beds and I am sure they will be long gone by then. Here is a question for you....do the smallies spawn before the largemouth? If so, how come I didn't find any smallies on beds? Do they spawn deeper on that Lake? I was looking all over the main lake and found none?:dizzy: Sure isn't like Lake St. Clair....and it shows you how lucky we are to catch fish we take for granted on Lake St.Clair. Thats for sure:) See you there......................:evilsmile

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
were on the main lake just off the edges of the sand bars .i caught several they are just starting to search as the water temps warm because in the later part of the day i caught some in the 3 feet range on dark spots on the bars but in the early part of the days they were in the 5 to six foot rannge just off the sand bars i believe they spawn at a cooler water temp but the water temp varys so much from channel to main lake .

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Largemouth will spawn from mid-April into early July on most lakes. It all depends on the fish. The majority will be spawnning now, but unfortunately when the opener comes, there will still be fish on beds. Although I may not agree with it, it is legal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts