Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had the misfortune of dropping my Battenkill 8/9 that I use for steelhead last spring and bent the frame. After finding out that a repair was impossible I took the Dremel to it to provide some relief to the binding and limp along till I could afford a new reel. Line goes off the spool really well but playing a fish can be a real chore and you end up fighting the reel as much as the fish. Not good..... It's finally time to look at new reels again and wondered what everyone likes? This is my first venture into the large arbor reels and my limit is $275. I've been looking at the St. Croix Legend, the new Ross Revolution, the Cabela's SR and the Battenkill LA. I've ruled out the Redington because of concerns of the materials used for the drag. I want a reel that will last me 10 yrs (providing no more drops :( ).

Thanks in advance for your experiences!

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
fishinlk, you couldn't have picked a better reel to drop. Orvis stands behind their gear 100% (or there-abouts)!
Call Orvis customer service... they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jackster,
I'll have to give them call but since I took the dremel to it I doubt they'll do much. I took it to the local shop and they said I was SOL so that's when I took matters into my own hands to try to "get by". I will definitely have somthing to say to the guy here if they tell me otherwise!

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Just call the 800#. They might be open 24/7. The local Orvis stores sometimes get hard-nosed. I've never been treated poorly through the 800 number.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't own the new Ross Revolution reel but I do have a couple other of their reels. They are great reels. American made and they have a lifetime warranty. Never had to send one in for repairs but from other conversations I understand that they back up their reels with no questions asked and have a very fast turn around time on repairs. I don't think you could go wrong with a Ross reel.

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
In that price range look at a harris, bbt handles them. If you want the best value try tioga my son bought one at bbt and has used it for salmon for four years with out a problem. We live a mile from the pm and he fishes salmon alot. His reel has fought more fish than most people will see in a life time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks plugger
I have been looking for a couple good fly reels in that price range for a couple back up rods.
I love my Harris but I need a few reels for some rods that I let friends use from time to time and I have been looking at the Tioga brand and was considering it.

Thanks
OSD.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I spoke to the big 'O' on your behalf and they might have helped you if it wasn't for that doggone Dremel tool. They basically said look at their new Mach reel that is just a tad above your spending limit. If I were in your shoes I would go with the Harris. It is bomb-proof and we all know where it is made.
Personally, I run a Ross Big Game but use it in the salt a lot too.
You should get to the rod show in Warren this weekend and compare them all! I know Craig Harris will be there.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jackster, for making the call!

And thanks for everyones input! I'll definitely be checking the Harris reels out at the show. I have a Ross Cimaron and like it but haven't seen the Revolutions yet. I'd prefer to keep my money in the U.S. built reels and wasn't aware the Harris reels were large arbor reels when I glanced at a picture.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Look at the Croixs, Loops, or Lampson all good reels for the money I have heard.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I have a redington reel and hate it. It has been replaced three times in the past 2yrs. Sometimes the drag will get too lose or tighten up on you, either when fighting a fish, or pulling line out. Mine is a Redington G/D 7/8wt.

my $.02 worth

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Get the Harris #4 LA. It's $290, but worth every cent. The Ross will cost some $50 more. The Tioga #8 or #10 LA is also good in the $140-150 range, but not a Harris in quality. But, if $275 is your range, the Harris is the best. IMHO. Stop by the fly show in Warren this weekend and take a look. Harris will have a booth and we'll have some 20 Harris reels to look over at the BBT booth too. Along with the Ross and Tioga.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Save yourself the troubles with the others and get on Ebay and bid on a used Tibor Freestone or Everglades and youll never look back. I owned 2 of the Battenkils years ago along with a Vortex and will never buy an Orvis reel ever again. Id try to buy used Abels or Tibors first. Trust me youll never be sorry!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Have you considered the Teton line of reels? Very solid reels. No frills but solid. I have 2 tioga large arbors that I use on 8# or larger rods.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I have a Ross Cimarron on my 6wt, and that is a bullet proof reel. I know I'll be fishing that one 'till they lay me in a garden of stone.

I have fished with the Evolution on a 3wt, and they're one sweet reel, but I don't think they come in an 8 or 9wt. You might want to look at the Rythm, that's looking like my next fly reel. I think they are in your spending range.

Here's a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...belas/en/content/Pod/02/32/01/p023201ii01.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I'll put in a third for the Teton. Bought mine on eBay and haven't had any problems yet. I've heard nothing but good about them, as well. Depending on your preference, you might look into the Tioga as well. Both reels are made by Teton - the only difference between the two is that the Teton is a few ounces lighter (and more expensive). Mikescottflyshop on eBay almost always has some up for bid. He's been great to deal with in the past and stands by everything he sells on there. Oh - and you'll get one HELL of a deal vs. buying a reel retail. (And no, I'm not him or related to him - just been pleasantly surprised).

·
Registered
95 Posts
:bowdown: I'll give my vote for the ross reels. they are great reels in any of their lines. from the colorodo to the big game none have ever failed me.

·
Super Moderator
37,758 Posts
I got one of the new Orvis Machs a few months ago. I am still in love with it. The drags washers are huge and the reel silky smooth.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts