Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got the dvd set yesterday. it seems that he starts after a lot of training is already done. im a little disappointed in the set. i thought he would start from a new pup and go from there.
anyone have a suggestions on from day 1 videos?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
At the RGS Training seminar on Saturday Justin suggested "Reliable Retrieving" DVD by Mark Payton. Picked up ours today and watched it this evening. He takes you through each step of Force Fetch with the same dog that was refusing to retrieve a bird.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have heard good things about Bill Hillmans DVD. Don't have it myself but Im probably getting it this week.

http://www.hawkeyemedia.net/

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
At the RGS Training seminar on Saturday Justin suggested "Reliable Retrieving" DVD by Mark Payton. Picked up ours today and watched it this evening. He takes you through each step of Force Fetch with the same dog that was refusing to retrieve a bird.
I will second this recommendation. We have the video and it does a very nice job of walking you through a basic force fetch training program if that is something that interest you.

RH

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Yep, Lardy basically starts after basic obedience is done, so roughly 6 month old pup (that's a rough number!).

Another option is "Sound Beginings" by Jackie Mertens. Never seen it. Just another one.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
maybe i missed something but i didnt see any advertisement. i asked a question and he answered with some video.:confused:
+1 to that concept!
Within in this thread 3-4 different systems were being promoted or advertised, even the title of the thread promoted or advertised a known retriever trainer and his system developing a duck/goose dog.
EvanG did not ask for the business in thread only offered to help not even sure if maybe it was an offer to help "Pro Bono"

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh and thank you very much evang. those clips were very motivating and helpful..

·
Banned
268 Posts
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. *We both know there is a difference between a random post from a member sharing their opinion on a subject is very different than a member who has a financial stake in (subtle) marketing of his own products; don't we? *

There I go again starting a shyte storm. *All I did was copy and paste directly from the forum rules. If you have a problem with the forum rules, *take it up with the administrators. *I mentioned no names, *but POP GOES THE WEASLE!! *Now, *you want to divide this forum and create arguments? *I can assure you the non-slip retriever DVD subject has a cult like following, *the likes of which are breathtaking. *

I've seen it firsthand where (those) few less than a handful of "believers" completely take over a forum, *do all the posting and tag team post to keep their "guru" high and lifted up. *(look for an influx of "new to the forum"). *PM me for a link to one forum with "Guru" and 3 or 4 "followers" that among (only) themselves are on page 4 of a back patting love-fest promoting the newest DVD coming to market. *(oh what irony). I wish they would just .......get a room. **I'd hate to see this forum become victim of what is on a couple other forums. Some innocent guy has a simple question on a retriever issue and the DVD crowd bombards him with buying XYZ's DVD's. *The guy simply responds that he wants a dog to do (fill in the blank) and the DVD crowd berates him for not following a "program". *And the innocent guy? *Never posts again. **The DVD guys? *Same thing, next victim. Don't think it could happen here? PM me and I'll link you to a forum where you'd think XYZ DVD Guru owned the message board, *it's been so taken over. Contrast that with what I see on this forum as some well recognized trainers, etc... posting here and are, from my perspective, complete and total gentlemen with respect to how they professionally balance their forum membership and the financial aspect of their occupation.

I won't post any more on this subject so as not to escalate the situation. **Maybe this subject should be moved to the Waterfowl forum as this forum is for upland game: *hunting, dogs, training; and not non-slip retriever training. *Them hard core Michigan duck hunters can identify a wolf from the sheep pretty quickly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not that I would discourage that idea, but I think it's more honest, as well as courageous to simply approach the person (in this case me) personally and express a complaint so that perhaps common ground might be met. Maybe, maybe not. But it seems a lot is being made over not much here.

I hope all of you understand that it is a tenuous position to be in - an author/producer of training information, while trying to genuinely try to help someone with training issues without having a target appear on your back is a ruthless SPAMMER.

I hope to help where I can. Let me know if I can do that, please.

EvanG

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
+1 to that concept!
Within in this thread 3-4 different systems were being promoted or advertised, even the title of the thread promoted or advertised a known retriever trainer and his system developing a duck/goose dog.
EvanG did not ask for the business in thread only offered to help not even sure if maybe it was an offer to help "Pro Bono"
I agree, but only because other methods and dvds where mentioned.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. *We both know there is a difference between a random post from a member sharing their opinion on a subject is very different than a member who has a financial stake in (subtle) marketing of his own products; don't we? *

There I go again starting a shyte storm. *All I did was copy and paste directly from the forum rules. If you have a problem with the forum rules, *take it up with the administrators. *I mentioned no names, *but POP GOES THE WEASLE!! *Now, *you want to divide this forum and create arguments? *I can assure you the non-slip retriever DVD subject has a cult like following, *the likes of which are breathtaking. *

I've seen it firsthand where (those) few less than a handful of "believers" completely take over a forum, *do all the posting and tag team post to keep their "guru" high and lifted up. *(look for an influx of "new to the forum"). *PM me for a link to one forum with "Guru" and 3 or 4 "followers" that among (only) themselves are on page 4 of a back patting love-fest promoting the newest DVD coming to market. *(oh what irony). I wish they would just .......get a room. **I'd hate to see this forum become victim of what is on a couple other forums. Some innocent guy has a simple question on a retriever issue and the DVD crowd bombards him with buying XYZ's DVD's. *The guy simply responds that he wants a dog to do (fill in the blank) and the DVD crowd berates him for not following a "program". *And the innocent guy? *Never posts again. **The DVD guys? *Same thing, next victim. Don't think it could happen here? PM me and I'll link you to a forum where you'd think XYZ DVD Guru owned the message board, *it's been so taken over. Contrast that with what I see on this forum as some well recognized trainers, etc... posting here and are, from my perspective, complete and total gentlemen with respect to how they professionally balance their forum membership and the financial aspect of their occupation.

I won't post any more on this subject so as not to escalate the situation. **Maybe this subject should be moved to the Waterfowl forum as this forum is for upland game: *hunting, dogs, training; and not non-slip retriever training. *Them hard core Michigan duck hunters can identify a wolf from the sheep pretty quickly.
I can see you point, but when I first started out I didn't know what I didn't know and would have appreciated a few of the posting. Like I said I've never seen the dvd that I mentioned, but I've heard good things about it. The poster can take what he or she wants out of it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The main reason I visit here so often is for the training tips. Let's not chase people away with assumptions about their motives. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
in that case thank you. i had no idea thats what was going on. i guess if he is a part of this invasive element im glad you called him out. at any rate i did like the videos.

dave..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts