Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Lapeer County Hunt

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Traditional uplander 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just started up last year coyote hunting on private land in Lapeer County, but of course I haven't had any success.

I am looking for someone that is skilled with hunting them that would like to come out a few times to give some pointers.

I currently have good lights and a Primos Turbo Dogg caller. The property's I have access to cover close to three square miles of thick woods and farm fields There is a large population of yotes in the area that have been taking the deer down. Hell, I have does running around with missing tails and ears!

Shoot me a message if you are interested. Thanks, Don

#4 ·
Yeah, I’ve been there it’s very frustrating when they hang up like that. On several occasions when they have hung up on me I have switched up the caller to an off the wall sound and it worked. It’s also been my experience that when a group hangs up like you have described 1-2 of them attempt to circle down wind of the call when their patients can no longer withstand the temptation of a free meal. Good luck to you and stick with it, pack as many stands/sets into prime time and good locations as possible.
Be safe, and know your weapons. Eventually it’s gonna happen and when it does you need hammer the coyote/fox/bobcat.

#6 ·
Where about a in Lapeer county, or pm me. They are tough to hunt. My best advice is a lot more scouting than calling. It’s not easy, just as everyone says, I might have an actual shot/sighting 3/10 sets. Sounds like you know where they hung up at, so try it again but get yourself where they hung up at. They do not like breaking cover and run right to the call. The hunt starts before you even turn the call on!

#9 ·
Hey everyone. I just started up last year coyote hunting on private land in Lapeer County, but of course I haven't had any success.

I am looking for someone that is skilled with hunting them that would like to come out a few times to give some pointers.

I currently have good lights and a Primos Turbo Dogg caller. The property's I have access to cover close to three square miles of thick woods and farm fields There is a large population of yotes in the area that have been taking the deer down. Hell, I have does running around with missing tails and ears!

throw out some meat scraps and some cheap dog food, sit at dusk hunt em like deer

#10 ·

Sorry to say you have used up your spot...calling too many time in the same spot...coyotes are fast learners all you have done is educate them....I might call a good spot once a month if conditions are perfect....

Your only options is baiting your spot or find more spots to call....

#11 ·
I would have to agree with coyote wacker to a point, coyotes travel a large home range and maybe miles away when you have called so there was no education happening. And I’ve heard of surgeons cutting off the wrong dam foot!!! And they are educated like no other, point being every living creature makes mistakes and sometimes the best in the world can’t turn away from temptation! Over hunting a spot is bad, but it ain’t the end. Change things up use a different sound and document what your using each time you go out.

#13 ·
You would be very surprised how small a territory coyotes travel. If they find a good food source they will stay there until hunting gets harder. Moving in their loop until they find food.
I have several spots that are a very good food sources and have taken up to 12 coyotes in 7 days, one is less than a square mile.

A coyotes ears can be fooled not hearing you approach or leave, eyes using camo and cover coming and going, I don't care what cover-up sent or how clean you are your never going to fool a coyotes nose. They know you have been there it will be stored in that grey matter between their ears. I've watched a coyote cross a field that I walked across 2 days before, come to my tracks stop and run the way it came from.

I started predator hunting in the early 1970's in Macomb County up into the Thumb hunting fox at night with shotgun with BB shot and a Burnhan Brothers record player. Never saw a hunter, we did good usually 1 to 3 a night. Around 1978 I shot first coyote in St Clair county, in the 80's a steady increase of more every year. Mid 90's showed a large increase of predator hunters. Now everybody thinks their a predator hunter, educating coyotes. Farms that I've hunted and trapped predators for decades are lease to deer hunters and want to save the predators for them selfs and most do a very poor job of controlling them.

#14 ·
While I appreciate your knowledge and experience, I will disagree with your comment that everybody thinks they are predator hunters just because they are trying.

I came here to reach out to some that are more knowledgeable than myself to learn how to reduce them. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and with the abundance of coyotes that have been multiplying over the years, one should be happy that more want to learn how to take care of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.