Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me that what I read in the weekly DNR fishing report this morning was BS! Tell me that I just imagined that it said steel was being caught at the dam. Or better yet, tell it's true so I can go fishing:D

·
Registered
880 Posts
The rain and warm temps probably pushed a few up that way. Probably not great numbers but some to fish for.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised at all if one or two anglers were to land a steelhead up that way. Normally there are fair numbers of fish in the mainstream and a few of the feeder creeks in the spring. I would imagine that some fish come up in the fall and trickle up as the winter wears on. There is definatly better fishing an hour west though.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
;) Just so ya know, that report is based on voluteer info, so if a couple guys scored some steel a day or two, and it got out to a bait store, it could be read as" there is good catches of steelhead in the lansing area"!
I think you see where I am comming from. Best bet is to go check it out before the crowds get there.;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I doubt there are any or very few in Lansing. Checked the ladders at the two Portland area dams and they were closed. As Quest suggested go west. Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im sure there is a few fish up there but until the open the ladders back up thats all there will be even with the high water they cant swim threw the turbins .ANd they definetly aint scaleing the gates at webber.:lol:

·
Banned
206 Posts
I work near the river and haven't seen any indication in the places I have looked. As of lately, I've been too busy to be fishing anyway, but if you're already in Lansing, it would probably be worth your time to hit Moore's river park. That is such a large (cooled) pool/run that I'm confident there is at least 1 steelhead in there no matter what month it is. Plus, you can get into some Walleye there - nobody should be disappointed in "accidentally" catching a Walleye while steelie fishing. ;)

In recent years, there just haven't really been any significant numbers of fish (Salmonoids) in the Lansing area, which I attribute to low water levels. With things the way they have been lately, this early break in the spring combined with the meltoff might be good.

JL

·
Registered
56 Posts
i see from an earlier post that you recommend fishing moore's park. i've fished it quite a bit up until about a week ago; its been really slow.

are you referring to fishing below the dam or above? i've fished almost exclusively below the dam. the structure looks very promising, but i've had little success. i wade out and try to fish the deep, fast runs, but i think something is wrong with my presentation. i've tried a lot of tipped ice jigs and live bait, but it hasnt worked out as i would have liked.

do you have any suggestions for multispecies at moore's?

thanks in advance,
ken

JimLeadfoot said:
I work near the river and haven't seen any indication in the places I have looked. As of lately, I've been too busy to be fishing anyway, but if you're already in Lansing, it would probably be worth your time to hit Moore's river park. That is such a large (cooled) pool/run that I'm confident there is at least 1 steelhead in there no matter what month it is. Plus, you can get into some Walleye there - nobody should be disappointed in "accidentally" catching a Walleye while steelie fishing. ;)

In recent years, there just haven't really been any significant numbers of fish (Salmonoids) in the Lansing area, which I attribute to low water levels. With things the way they have been lately, this early break in the spring combined with the meltoff might be good.

JL

·
Registered
462 Posts
Used to slam the smallies on a split shot and a minnow. Also have caught several eye's, and cat's there. Some good one's. The smallie action can be unreal at times, if you go tot the right spot (wade)...
kb

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Here's how it works: Dude goes down to the Grand at Moore's park or some place like that, probably walleye fishing or something like that--he catches an incidental steelhead in the process. Dude then takes it up to Grand River Bait and Tackle or whereever to show it off. Next fishing report states, "some steelhead being caught in Lansing."

Same thing happens at Sixth St. every summer. Some guy catfishing laces into a stray early salmon and the next fishing report states that "Kings and Lake run browns are available at 6th St. dam."

There's probably a sturgeon available too, but that doesn't mean it pays to target them! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts