Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to find out if anyone is catching any decent gills or crappies in the Lansing or St. Johns area. Been working Round lake and Lake Ovid with little success. I was out tonight started in 5 fow and worked my way out to 17 fow on Round Lake zigin an zagin all the way with no luck..:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Went out on Park lake tonight got a few keeper gills and 1 nice speck 11" first time on the lake this year. didn't mark many fish at all.

SR

·
Registered
796 Posts
Bud Killer and S Reed, I caught a lot of small gills at Sleepy and pretty nuch struck out at Round. I think Round is getting fished out and I don't know whats going on at Sleepy. Too many fish and they are stunted, I don't know but you can catch hundreds the same size. I think you need to drive a ways to try somthing else. Maybe Sessions or Morrison. You guys pm me if you do any good and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I am still trying to get on some decent fish around here. I have never fished park lake, been by it a bunch.

Thanks Again for the reply:D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Fishing was good 30 yrs ago, we use to fish Muskrat Lk. and catch nice specks and pike, same with the other local lakes, But got tired of the dinks and these Lakes do get hit hard. I drive to other Lakes, but with gas prices dont know how much more trips i'll take this yr...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fishing was good 30 yrs ago, we use to fish Muskrat Lk. and catch nice specks and pike, same with the other local lakes, But got tired of the dinks and these Lakes do get hit hard. I drive to other Lakes, but with gas prices dont know how much more trips i'll take this yr...

I hear yeah, that is why I have been stayin close to home. That and I fish during the week after work.

I will keep at it there has to be decent fish in the Lakes around me..

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
9 Posts
try muskrat lake i have had some success there this year. also check around with the lakes around the rose lake area. not going to name any specific but if it is pan fish your are after i am sure you wont be disappointed with potter lake. dont let the depth fool you and check out where all the holes are and you should find some nice blue gills. the other lakes around that area have been known to produce to.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Went by Hawk Island this afternoon there were three fire rigs and the dive team. Don't know if somebody went through or they were training. There was a car in the parking lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey pudstud, you hitting the bay anytime soon, might hit wicks tomarrow night...

It hasn't worked out for me yet. From what I am understanding most of the shad problem is coming to a close and the 'eyes are moving up to the river systems. Let me know how the ice and current is I would love to get out there soon. Good luck and keep those lines tight

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went by Hawk Island this afternoon there were three fire rigs and the dive team. Don't know if somebody went through or they were training. There was a car in the parking lot.
I was there yesterday, I also seen the Fire Crew. They must be doing some type of training. How did you do?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It hasn't worked out for me yet. From what I am understanding most of the shad problem is coming to a close and the 'eyes are moving up to the river systems. Let me know how the ice and current is I would love to get out there soon. Good luck and keep those lines tight
Will let ya know when i get back tonight, might hit Shattuck rd..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bud Killer and S Reed, I caught a lot of small gills at Sleepy and pretty nuch struck out at Round. I think Round is getting fished out and I don't know whats going on at Sleepy. Too many fish and they are stunted, I don't know but you can catch hundreds the same size. I think you need to drive a ways to try somthing else. Maybe Sessions or Morrison. You guys pm me if you do any good and I'll do the same.

Have you heard of anyone catching any on Sessions or Morrison..

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Denton I live by the park I wasn't fishing. Did you due any good? The small pond inside the dog park my son and I use to get some nice (7") gills out of it but I don't know if you can fish it now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Denton I live by the park I wasn't fishing. Did you due any good? The small pond inside the dog park my son and I use to get some nice (7") gills out of it but I don't know if you can fish it now.
I actually didn't do any fishing, I was kinda scared off by the fact no one was on the ice and the presence of the emergency crew:tdo12:
I might head out there tomorrow though. I have never ice fished it, so don't really know where to start, but I have a brand new portable fish finder I have been dying to try out. I will proabably spend more time drilling holes and figuring out how to dial in my finder than actually fishing :tdo12:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go staight past the island on the north side to the other side. There is a weed bed over there that holds numbers of fish. I have not fished it yet this year. Are they still charging to park in the winter too?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Went to Hawk Island thursday afternoon with my roomate. First time out there for both of us, we fished by the island to start off and got fish rt away but were all dinks, we moved some and ended up in the cove that the bridge surrounds and all we caught were dink gills, no keepers. But still fun to get out and get some fish on the line!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Geez BudKiller...if you weren't sitting next to me in the shanty drinking beer and passing me the Jim Beam bottle for tokes maybe we'd catch some more fish...lmao.

We need to go to the big "C" north yonder

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Geez BudKiller...if you weren't sitting next to me in the shanty drinking beer and passing me the Jim Beam bottle for tokes maybe we'd catch some more fish...lmao.

We need to go to the big "C" north yonder
You know it.. now that my back feels a little better... :D

Pass the Jim please..:evilsmile

1 - 20 of 25 Posts