Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months I have recieved many inquiries about Michigan Duck Hunters Association. Many of them come from the capitol area and unfortunately MDHA does not have a chapter in that area.

Are there enough waterfowlers in that area that would be interested in reorganizing the Mid-Michigan chapter of MDHA? Michigan Duck Hunters Bluewater along with the other chapters would help with the startup and advice.

Some of the things that MDHA has to offer:

A vote on the Citizens Waterfowling Advisory Commitee.
A great working relationship with all divisions of the Michigan DNR including Wetland Cheif Biologist Greg Soulliere and Wildlife Cheif Becky Humphries.
A great working relationship with Michigan United Conservation Clubs and all of the resources they have to offer.
Having a significant impact on community youth outdoor education.
Offering expertise and resources for private land wetland development.
Being a HANDS ON conservation orgization that gets into programs intimately with dirt under the fingernails involvment.
Members that are ready, willing, and able to make a difference in the coservation of our resources AND our sport.

If any one is interested please reply and maybe something can get started here for the Lansing area.

Thank You,

Ken Martin

www.midha.org

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ken - I live in the Lansing area and am extremely glad that you started this thread. I have been planning for some time to join the MDHA, but was kind of hesitant because there wasn't any chapters in my area. In fact, just yesterday, I was on the MDHA website trying to decide which chapter was closer for me to join.

Being new to duck hunting this year (I got duck fever bad and can't wait until next season!) I don't know how much practical knowledge I could offer, but I would be willing to help out with anything that I can.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see how many other people there are in this area that are interested.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Ken thanks for starting this thread. I actually live in the Brighton Area I live in hartland at m59 and us 23. I would be interested to see what type of a respose you get from both the lansing area and the livingston county area. Im a hour drive from both lansing and from your meetings for blue water at 696 and 75. I too was on the sight trying to find a chapter near me. The one possitive I see to joinging the blue water is they have very active members. The one negative is I get the feeling you mostly hunt the big water on the east side there so that even farther for me then the meetings.
I guess for now I will sit back and see what happens with this thread.
:)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We hunt where ever we have access and there are ducks. That is everywhere from Houghton Lake to Saginaw Bay to Lake Macatawa to farm fields to Sault Saint Marie. We just have our meetings in Ferndale. We do goose banding every year on Belle Isle. Duck banding on Harsens Island. We build and distribute hundreds of wood duck boxes every year. We work with youth groups from Northern Macomb County to Monroe.

All of this can be done for Mid-Michigan too. Although I thought Hartland was just south of Lansing we'll always take in members at Bluewater. We have a member who is very active from as far North as Fenton.

Ken

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
hartland is 7 miles south of Fenton :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to say Grand Blanc. But I do beleive there is a Bluewater member from Fenton. I'll have to check the roster.

Ken

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ken,

While I currently live in Shelby Twp., almost all of my hunting (in general, but especially waterfowling) has been done in the greater Lansing area. I spend alot of time there thruout the year, and may be interested. Keep us posted please.

Al

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yep, I have checked out the site in the past as well and could find nothing close to central Michigan.

Nothing closer than an hour and I have little time to spare...

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Sorry I haven't followed up to this sooner, but I was out of the country on vacation. I live and work in the Lansing area, and years ago inquired about the MDHA and a chapter near me. Finding none, I turned to DU. I was very heavily involved for years in DU, and was chair or co-chair of the East Lansing (Red Cedar) Chapter for many years. For those who have never been heavily involved in one of the many non-profit organizations, it's a lot of work. Don't let anyone kid you. Although I got a lot out of my DU involvement, after about 15 years of this I kind of got burned out, and for the last few years have been in the background at my own request. Yes, I'd be willing to be involved in a local MDHA chapter, because I think we truly need that around here. But I don't think I'll ever get involved to the extent that I did before. I'd be glad to help out getting it up and running though. DU is great, but MDHA has a much different focus, and I think it's important to bring that to Mid-Michigan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts