Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you pay attention to no wake signs listed by dock owners that are not regulated by the state? Personally I think it's bs that these people yell at you for not obeying their signs. I obey any state posted no wake, but these folks that put up no wake signs because they think they own their particular channel annoy me.

Rant over.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do any of you pay attention to no wake signs listed by dock owners that are not regulated by the state? Personally I think it's bs that these people yell at you for not obeying their signs. I obey any state posted no wake, but these folks that put up no wake signs because they think they own their particular channel annoy me.

Rant over.
Put the shoe on the other foot, would you like to repair the damage to your property? You are responsible for your wake.

·
Registered
54 Posts
While I hear what you are saying, in Michigan they technically DO own their stretch of water. I'd probably slow down a little and keep as much distance as I could.

·
Registered
18,972 Posts
One area does it because of nesting loons in the spring.
Another does it on their dirt road! .
I don't recall ignoring any no wake areas though...
Most channels are for putt putttin anyway.
Watchin your moored boat bounce against the dock might inspire less wave action where possible.
Folks may or may not own it yet still have a vested interest in property, both shoreline and watercraft.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They dont own the water, they own the land under it to riparian rights. Me personally, if i lived on a channel and it wasn't state posted no wake I wouldn't complain. But im sure I differ from most. If the channel is wife enough to support the 100 ft from dock rule I wouldn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And let me preface this as I didn't go through on plane, just a little faster than idle. So it was technically a wake. And this guy lost his mind on me to the point he threw a baseball at my boat. That's what really sparked the post.

·
Registered
18,972 Posts
Ya, even behavin I've met a couple ummmm..." interesting" people that seemed in need of a baptism...

Lived on a lake a while and it was great though.
The main channel had no wake signs I believe.
A launch at one end of the channel really required a low speed there, naturally.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And let me preface this as I didn't go through on plane, just a little faster than idle. So it was technically a wake. And this guy lost his mind on me to the point he threw a baseball at my boat. That's what really sparked the post.
That's assault. There ARE rules about hassling hunters/fishermen.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Easy there big guy. He clearly said he was barely making a wake and they threw a baseball at him. He didn't do anything wrong.
If you read the OP he states he's annoyed by the sign ,no mention of having a ball thrown at him.
My point why seek to be confrontational if your saving only a few seconds to get where your going.
There's also two sides to every story.
It's easy to be a DB!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
There's always the proper etiquette and respect for others property point of view as well.

Reactions: cruiseplanner1

·
Registered
422 Posts
This isn't related to the OP but this thread reminds me of a guy on Thorn Apple lake who had a sign on the end of his dock that read "IF YOU DON'T THROW LURES AT MY BOAT-I WON'T THROW ROCKS AT YOURS"

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shouldve known this thread would get off track with all the ethics police. Let me rephrase the question

Do you ignore non state sponsored no wake signs that are hand painted and set on someone's lawn?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I shouldve known this thread would get off track with all the ethics police. Let me rephrase the question

Do you ignore non state sponsored no wake signs that are hand painted and set on someone's lawn?
Yes, but I abide the law of no wake with 100 feet from any object including shore and dock. If possible I give more distance.

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
Yes, but I abide the law of no wake with 100 feet from any object including shore and dock. If possible I give more distance.
Maybe that I because you grew up on a lake and was raised by great parents that taught you right from wrong.

To many people do not know about the 100 foot law or could care less about it. They do not realize or care that it also includes anchored fishing boats. They consider anchored boats slalom markers.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts

Again why create confrontation if you don't have to. Is it taking you hours more to get to your spot but just slowing down temporarily?
Put yourself in thier shoes and use common sense, sometimes it will make things easier to see from thier perspective.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again why create confrontation if you don't have to. Is it taking you hours more to get to your spot but just slowing down temporarily?
Put yourself in thier shoes and use common sense, sometimes it will make things easier to see from thier perspective.

Again, this isn't about confrontation. It's about legality, and people overstepping their legal rights to a great lakes waterway. I don't go around picking fights. Just merely posing a question.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.