Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping out a buddy of mine who has some property he wants to lease.

Clare County
2 miles North of Jay's Sporting Goods

260 acres total.
30+ is excellent thick wooded low ground.

Yearly lease $4000.

Ingham County

3 miles Northeast of Mason

293 acres total
25+ acres of wooded low ground.
Lots of heavy cover.
$4000 yearly lease.

Call (517) 881-0128 between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Ask for Gayle.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
I'm very familiar with the Clare area. There is a good population of deer in that area. $4000 for 260 acres is pretty steep for most area's up north. I know someone that leases 160 near midland for $1800 a year

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im curious, who leases hunting land for 12 months? Im thinking September to January covers most seasons unless you are an avid coyote or rabbit hunter no need for the spring or summer months. $4000 is way too steep. Cut that in half and u might actually find a leaser.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Im curious, who leases hunting land for 12 months? Im thinking September to January covers most seasons unless you are an avid coyote or rabbit hunter no need for the spring or summer months. $4000 is way too steep. Cut that in half and u might actually find a leaser.

If the 293 acres is even marginally decent it will be easy to lease at that price. Leases at under $15/acre rarely are rarely available more than a day or two.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

I love having a year round lease. Nobody sets foot in the woods in September, can cut lanes and do work periodically all spring and summer. Squirrel hunting, turkey hunting. We did a camping/scouting trip a few weeks back. I wouldn't want anything but a year round lease.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

First of all I'm only the messanger.

Who leases for 12 months........well I do.
Second he might find a lessee:lol:

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the 293 acres is even marginally decent it will be easy to lease at that price. Leases at under $15/acre rarely are rarely available more than a day or two.
Exactly.
Infact I want the Ingham lease, but I can't afford it at this moment. If this thing is available next year its mine:evil:

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably BnB, I guess if you could split it between 3 or 4 guy's I could see it. You have a better chance at larger bucks where your at also;)
Here is how I look at it.
$4000 yes steep for most.
But lets say 6 guys lease it. Not big buck hunters just hunters looking to see some deer and have some good chances of killing one.
So roughly $667 gets you 260 acres of land only 5 others will be on beside you.
Not all hunters who lease are elitist:lol: Some are just looking for a little chunk of ground for themselves without having to buy.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Not all hunters who lease are elitist:lol:

You said that not me:lol:
I would pay $700 a year to shoot 120" and better all day long if it was 1.5 hours from home or less:D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Wow, can't believe the prices I am reading. I am humbled.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Try and pay the taxes on some of these leases. We lease a section that cost us over $2700 and another piece that goes $12 an acre. To buy these lands would cost us WAY MORE in taxes and payments.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
260 acres is alot of land to hunt, especially if it has some broken up wooded sections...3-4 guys $1000 a piece is an OK deal, but nothing crazy either, he will find lessee for both parcels.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I would imagine that the 4k he is asking for a lease price may just barely or even fall short of his annual tax commitment. I know what I pay on 40 acres, non ag exempt land, it's a little better than 25% of that lease prices on 200+ acres being offered.

At the price, these leases offered are a good value.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't think $4000 is bad at all, not for 260 acres. This parcel won't last long, people want piece of mind when hunting and you get that on a large parcel like this. There's no one walking in front of you, the deer are less tense on larger private parcels, the list can go on and on. He will get $4000 no problem. Hell, I pay close to $4000 for 70 acres in washtenaw county. $4000 for 260 sounds like a barging to me.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He will either get the money or not and I believe he wont really care what people think of his asking price. The reason I posted for him was because he wouldn't of met the deadline to get an add in woods n waters....September issue.
Those who do lease will have IMO one of the best lessors to work with.
I have been leasing from this guy for 12 years now.
If any one here from MS ends up with one of these shoot me a pm I would like to hear how the season went.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts