Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been centerpinning about 5 years now, looking to upgrade my rod and am torn between these- 12' lami closer 6-12lb, 11'6 bloodrun iridia 6-10lb, 12' nova chrome imx1443 6-12lb. I was thinking closer but I've heard a lot of people think it's too heavy making me think maybe I should go Iridia. I usually fish 6lb tippet, 8lb when real muddy. This is a rod intended for great Lakes steelhead. I generally fish small to medium tribs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would get the Nova Chrome. I don’t have a Nova rod (yet), but I have fished them a few times and I have been very impressed. I have a custom made Closer that I don’t really care for. It’s too heavy for me. I haven’t used the Blood Run rod you’re talking about, but I’d go Nova. I’ve heard Nova also provides great customer service if for some reason something goes wrong. Lamiglas customer service is terrible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love my custom Lami Closer, handles big fish on light leaders extremely well. The rod takes a ton of stress of your leader. Turned a good amount of large steelhead in low/tight water this past fall, winter, and spring with it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love my custom Lami Closer, handles big fish on light leaders extremely well. The rod takes a ton of stress of your leader. Turned a good amount of large steelhead in low/tight water this past fall, winter, and spring with it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your search!
Thanks for the info bro. I keep hearing people absolutely love the closer or they hate it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an older irdia built on a rain shadow blank ,great rod I also have a custom built on a newer bloodrun blank both great rods .never fished a closer or the nova Blank but you won’t be disappointed if you choose bloodrun

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I personally have been digging the 13’ 6-10 lami. Have the 12’ 6-12 as well, but for the way I “ape fight” fish, I pulled hooks a lot, the 13’ being a little softer is good for my style of “ape fighting”... but, for my girlfriend, the 12’ 6-12 is perfect for her more “gentle” hookset and fighting of fish. Haven’t fished the other two. Just my input.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet…it’s difficult to decide. Like some, I have had or current have Center pin rods from most of the major blank manufactures. GL,Lamiglass,St.Croix, Rain shadow and on and on. The blank that really surprised me was the 13.6 Raven RV9. Not the market tied rod, it’s ok at best. I bought the blank and twisted it up with maxima high frames from Mudhole. Not even close to the market rod. When I pack up and head out this rod always make the cut along with a Closer and GL. And you don’t have to take a second mortgage for the blank either. Might be another option. In the past I would never buy unless I could touch and feel before dropping the coin. I rolled the dice on the blank and it work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts