Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tawas Lake is very shallow and weedy but I hear it is good pike, bass and blue gill. Never fished it except in the winter. I would probably look at Foote or Cooke Ponds on the AuSable River west of Oscoda. Good small mouth, pike and some walleye. I like to launch below Cooke Dam on the upper part of Foote and fish for small mouth. It is a gravel launch but 2 wheel drive will work unless you have a bigger boat. Be careful for stumps.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Several small lakes west of Tawas at Sand Lake area, and I know one or two have public launches. Check the stocking records on the DNR site, but I know there is some good fishing in those lakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cooke Dam Pond of the Au Sable can be excellent for largemouth, smallmouth and pike. Have not had huge success with large pike but the numbers are there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey HFT,

Sage Lake in Ogemaw County is about 25 minutes away (M-55-Sage Lake Road). I post reports every couple of weeks from Sage. I'm sure you can search them on this site. Send me a PM if you want a lake contour map with "spots" marked on it. I made it for some anglers new to the lake/area a few years back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Herschel, I'm on sage looking for some good fishing. We have been in the old lodge east of north island for the last 10 years. Just been putzin around out here for that time. I'd like to start catching. Some fish. Pike I hope. Any Help? Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Agapeace,

I sent you a PM with a lake map with "spots" attached. This time last week the pike were lined up along the southwest? drop off leading into the bay where Kenyon's is located. I threw a 3/8 oz. bluegill colored spinnerbait and caught several over 24". Still, with Sage you will catch many more "unders." Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts