Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the health warnings which as a 60 year old guy I am choosing to ignore, I am wondering why Lake Trout has such a bad rep on the table.

I am lucky enough to get to eat a lot of fish I catch, including perch, walleye and various trout and salmon from the Great Lakes. I also get to fish in the Florida Keys in the winter. We catch and eat a lot of different fish there and they all have their own appeal.

We caught and kept a high slot Laker today and charcoal grilled it up. All 3 of us thought it was delicious. I mean, is it a little less firm than some and can you tell it is fish? Yeah, but so ?

I have some big walleye in the freezer from the fall Lake Erie season that we pretty much only eat as fish cakes. These Lakers are better fare for sure.

Just wondering what the deal is....

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I agree, their great to eat but you'll get the keyboard fishing professional popping up at any minute to throw out the stale "greasers" to make themselves appear as some sort of salmon or steelhead professional angler.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
How dare you say Lake Trout is good! That is against everything we stand for! I'm just kidding..I love it..just gotta make sure you remove the fatty part near the top of the spine.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have mentioned I am an aggressive fish cleaner when required.

You really have to do that on some saltwater fish too.

I did grill these skin on if that makes a difference.

Also, watching those 19" fish float away did not make me happy at all. That is a bad rule for sure. We only caught a few of those and quit trying to catch them once we had one for dinner.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think lakers are very good eating.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Lake Trout got their bad name the first time salmon were hard to come by and people were catching big fish over 10#. You take a 15# Laker and of course it will be fatty. I'd rather have a 5-6# Laker on the grill than a King any day. A great recipe is to marinade them in ranch dressing and lemon juice, then grill them and sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over them until it melts.

A far as health warnings, I grew up on the stuff when we were still chartering in the 80's and 90's, i'm still fine. Grind an entire cow up and test it like they do fish and see what you get. Trim all the belly fat and mud vein off and its perfectly healthy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
196 Posts
ive come in more than once with a box full of kings and a couple lakers and given the kings to nieghbors and keep the trout for myself

·
gone fishin
1,358 Posts
i smoke them all the time they r great i have a friend that gets some nice ones out of higgins every winter i smoke them for him for half the fish i fillet them skin them then smoke the fillet whole they turn out awesome keep them and smoke them good fishin

·
-RIP-
3,670 Posts
We also eat alot of fish. And lakers are in the freezer next to the eyes and gills.Which are an top of the salmon .Just take some time and prepare them well,as was said earlier ,scrape mud line,cut belly fat and pull or cut out bones.Good to go.Almost 50 years eating lake trout still not glowing LOL.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Lake Trout got their bad name the first time salmon were hard to come by and people were catching big fish over 10#. You take a 15# Laker and of course it will be fatty. I'd rather have a 5-6# Laker on the grill than a King any day. A great recipe is to marinade them in ranch dressing and lemon juice, then grill them and sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over them until it melts.

A far as health warnings, I grew up on the stuff when we were still chartering in the 80's and 90's, I'm still fine. Grind an entire cow up and test it like they do fish and see what you get. Trim all the belly fat and mud vein off and its perfectly healthy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

When you say cooking them on the grill ?, are you putting them in alum foil and cooking them ? or leaving the skin on and actually cooking them on the grill ?
i always rap mine in foil on the grill.
i would like to try it your way.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It's purely a taste preference thing. I happen to like King's a lot, Steelhead not as much, and Lakers even less. Since the Kings have been good to us, I'm planning on throwing back the Steelhead and Lakers from now on.

But, I know people who rank them in different order of preference too. I guess God made us different!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I made a mistake telling the guys that fish with me how good the Lake Trout is. Now they want all the Lake Trout. I take the skin off leaving a thin layer of meat on the skin so there is no brown stuff left on the meat. Then cut out the lateral line. I make a tray out of foil so its open to set on my charcoal grill not gas. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on rub on a little butter salt and pepper some onion on top. Takes 10 to 12 minutes and you get the charcoal flavor.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Skin on hot charcoal grill ( Big Green Egg in this case) .

Olive oil, lemon, and some peppery seasoning.. Top down, cook till the edges were crispy.

I should try slitting the skin like they do on whole snapper to let some fat out...

We did eat around the dark stuff in lieu of removing it since with the skin on you can't get to it too well.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Kevin,
I put them on aluminum foil with holes punched in it. I usually use the non-stock foil. As soon add I flip it, I add another thin layer of ranch and sprinkle the shredded parmesan. Its extremely important to use the shredded cheese and not the powdered stuff.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Kevin,
I put them on aluminum foil with holes punched in it. I usually use the non-stock foil. As soon add I flip it, I add another thin layer of ranch and sprinkle the shredded parmesan. Its extremely important to use the shredded cheese and not the powdered stuff.

Thanks Nick
i will try it tomorrow night for dinner, i had my Wife pick up some of the cheese today when she went grocery shopping,
My Wife isn't a big fan of eating fish, so maybe she will like this.

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts