Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Slow day for me from noon to 6:15pm. Parked at the beach mentioned above and walked straight out. Caught a little perch and that’s it. Didn’t lose any bait. Marked most fish between 12’ and 16’ but not many. The middle was very quiet at 20’-22’. Didn’t fish shallower then 12’. I also spoke with the “all nighter” crew and got the same report. 6”-7” of clear ice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has come to my attention that someone is placing these upload_2021-1-11_8-42-23.jpeg notices on vehicles that are parked on the 3rd Lake Birch Property Owners Association (BPPOA)park area. THIS IS NOT BEING DONE BY THE ASSOCIATION. Someone is deciding themselves to do this WITHOUT THE AUTHORITY OF THE ASSOCIATION BOARD.
I have spoken to BPPOA President , Tula Alexander, and she states that during the ice fishing season ANYONE is welcome to use the parking lot of the park and access the lake to enjoy fishing Or any other winter activity. She stated that this open use has ALWAYS been the policy of the Association.
Thank all of you for visiting our wonderful lake. Thank you for only leaving memories and helping to keep it clean.
upload_2021-1-11_8-42-23.jpeg

John Bawol
President, St. Helen Lake Association

·
Registered
948 Posts
It has come to my attention that someone is placing these View attachment 630041 notices on vehicles that are parked on the 3rd Lake Birch Property Owners Association (BPPOA)park area. THIS IS NOT BEING DONE BY THE ASSOCIATION. Someone is deciding themselves to do this WITHOUT THE AUTHORITY OF THE ASSOCIATION BOARD.
I have spoken to BPPOA President , Tula Alexander, and she states that during the ice fishing season ANYONE is welcome to use the parking lot of the park and access the lake to enjoy fishing Or any other winter activity. She stated that this open use has ALWAYS been the policy of the Association.
Thank all of you for visiting our wonderful lake. Thank you for only leaving memories and helping to keep it clean. View attachment 630041
John Bawol
Thanks john!!!

·
Administrator
26,685 Posts
Without creating a great debate, I have contacted law enforcement & parking is legal in the area in question. You may also contact the president of the lake St Helen lake association, John Bawol (also the township supervisor) or Tula Anderson whom is the president of the Birch Pointe property association, who’s group owns the campground & the secondary beach area in question. Their words are, they are sick of the local “ice police” lying & threatening fishermen to try to scare them off. It was expressed by both of these people that the lake depends greatly on the income fishing brings. If you got a note on your vehicle, John or Tula would like to have it if you could get it to them so they can take proper disciplinary action.

Please don’t lock this thread Mike! The sportsmen have a right to know this information & lake St. Helen needs & deserves the income.
No problem for now.

Welcome to the site John Bawol. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It has come to my attention that someone is placing these View attachment 630041 notices on vehicles that are parked on the 3rd Lake Birch Property Owners Association (BPPOA)park area. THIS IS NOT BEING DONE BY THE ASSOCIATION. Someone is deciding themselves to do this WITHOUT THE AUTHORITY OF THE ASSOCIATION BOARD.
Thank all of you for visiting our wonderful lake. Thank you for only leaving memories and helping to keep it clean. View attachment 630041
John Bawol
Thank you John.

13 Posts
Sunset Ice Report,Lake St. Helen, Third lake, Just talked to a couple of young men from Ohio,coming off the ice. They have been on the ice since Friday night,slept out there in heated shanty,on cots,that is dedicated! Ice is 8" most places,caught & released several small pike,and kept three Walleye,18" to 22",showed me the fish. Were caught on shiners & chubs in 7' of water,according to them.It was their 2nd trip to Mich to ice fish,and they hope to return,later this winter.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
John Bawol
Thanks John Bawol and Tula Alexander!

To anyone that is parking here or has in the past or plans to in the future please listen up. Mr. John Bawol and Ms. Tula Alexander are doing us all a great deed and keeping with a great tradition. I'm not here to preach at any of you though it will come off that way but please don't take it that way. I think the least we can all do is treat the place as if it were your own and leave it at least as good and hopefully better than you found it on your day when you park and fish from there. If at all possible buy your bait from the local baitshop, The Minnow Bucket, buy your snacks and drinks from one of the local stores, and fill your tanks up on the way home before you leave town. In the mean time, take the time and visit the St. Helen Lake Association website and put a check in the mail for a mere $10/year to become a member so that good people like John and Tula can use it towards all of the things mentioned on their website from fish stocking, caring for the lake, getting kids involved in fishing, and other events they hold throughout the year. I cannot possibly think of a way to better spend $10. I know times are tight for some and they aren't great for me either but if you would like to join but don't have the funds send me a PM and I'll pony up a few extra Hamiltons if need be to get as many involved as possible. To save you some time here is the website as well so you can do it on your own if you can:
https://www.sthelenlakeassociation.org/

Thanks guys and gals and just think about it for a minute and it should make sense to you. And for you jokesters, haha, that's me too, no, I'm not getting any benefit from this but just think it is the right thing to do and we need more of that in the world. Here's to an awesome 2021!

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
John Bawol
But it looks so neat and official!

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks John Bawol and Tula Alexander!

To anyone that is parking here or has in the past or plans to in the future please listen up. Mr. John Bawol and Ms. Tula Alexander are doing us all a great deed and keeping with a great tradition. I'm not here to preach at any of you though it will come off that way but please don't take it that way. I think the least we can all do is treat the place as if it were your own and leave it at least as good and hopefully better than you found it on your day when you park and fish from there. If at all possible buy your bait from the local baitshop, The Minnow Bucket, buy your snacks and drinks from one of the local stores, and fill your tanks up on the way home before you leave town. In the mean time, take the time and visit the St. Helen Lake Association website and put a check in the mail for a mere $10/year to become a member so that good people like John and Tula can use it towards all of the things mentioned on their website from fish stocking, caring for the lake, getting kids involved in fishing, and other events they hold throughout the year. I cannot possibly think of a way to better spend $10. I know times are tight for some and they aren't great for me either but if you would like to join but don't have the funds send me a PM and I'll pony up a few extra Hamiltons if need be to get as many involved as possible. To save you some time here is the website as well so you can do it on your own if you can:
https://www.sthelenlakeassociation.org/

Thanks guys and gals and just think about it for a minute and it should make sense to you. And for you jokesters, haha, that's me too, no, I'm not getting any benefit from this but just think it is the right thing to do and we need more of that in the world. Here's to an awesome 2021!
Not such a bad deal for $10.oo .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
why not just put a box at the entrance and say 5 bucks for parking, explaining what it would be used for. would generate alot more money than asking for donations

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How is everything going up there.Wanted to come up this weekend but was forced in to work.:mad:

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Should have been here last week.they were jumping out of the hole!:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts