Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried near the St. Clair light and north on the American side of the ditch. Lots of boats catching nice size Perch from 27 - 28 north to the Firecracker. Trolled Walleye on the hunt! Managed (3) with one lost at boat. But picked up (19) fairly nice Perch while trolling. Saw a few Walleyes boated, but most were trying for Perch.

Water clear and weeds not bad either surface or bottom. They should start really picking up as the water warms in this area.

Attachments

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,013 Posts
We had customers who had to come in and reload on minnow for the perch yesterday. From the sounds of things from these guys they where really hammering them good out there. I also got a report of a guy running leeches under a slip float and catching some really nice eye's.He said he just drifted until he caught one then throw out a marker bouy and then motor up wind and dropped anchor and casted the slip float and leech to them.

He said he was south of the light.

So from the sounds of the things the Ditch is the place to be for both right now.

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
I knew I should of kept my mouth shut! lol. But I'm not entering the tourney this year so who cares right!

A bit more info, I was trolling with boards and 1 oz bb's. The fish hit on the board running a root beer pattern and worm 15ft behind the board with a 1/2 oz inline. Caught one, spun around, caught another, pulled lines and motored the area. Found a gravel/rubble pile about 20 ft in diameter with weeds emerging around it in 14fow or so if memory serves. This was on the american side dumping grounds if anyone wants to try and find it. Went up wind, dropped both anchors about 30 meters away, and sent out different offerings at different depths under the slips.

Most fish were active and hitting fairly high in the column, 7 ft below the float was best. Was slow at first, but once I put a copper/bronze flicker with a red bead it was a fire drill. Netted about 20 or so within 2-3 hours. All small eater sized fish, I kept 3 and tossed the rest back to grow up. A few were only 12 inchers, and even fewer broke out of the teens, largest was 20 inches or so.

I was all alone out there besides spotting a few musky and bass guys who looked at me backwards for running slips.

Oh never marked a fish either on the graph, so you know they are buried in the weeds waiting to ambush.

Good luck and bobber down!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts