Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to lake simcoe lately? How was the fishing? Im headed over in two weeks and trying to figure out where to fish... I was there about a month ago and brought back my limit of 100 but the size was way down from last year. Alot of 8 and 9 inchers. With a few 10 to 11... If youve had some sucess plz let me know I am taking my Dad over for his first time. Thanks.....:fish:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
We were over there last weekend and didnt do that good. We fished Cooks Bay North and east of Gilford, same place we fished about 3 weeks ago and did really good. I'm not sure if the weather had something to do with it or if its the mid-winter slow down. I'm not sure where you are staying but it sounds like they are doing better up towards Beaverton and Port Bolster. I might be heading back around the 12th of Feb for a few days. Let me know how you do and good luck!

Scott

·
Registered
284 Posts
7 of us went over last weekend. 3 fished Friday and Saturday and the other 4 fished thru Sunday in the rain. We went on the lake at Beaverton and traveled southwest about 4 miles and fished all over the area between the Islands in 22 FOW to 32 FOW. Schools were small and it was a long time between. In all that time there were only 5 fish caught over 12" with most in the 8" to 10" range. Most sucess was on # 3 Rainbow trout Rapala's and Dark green and gold Hali's. A group of guys from the Bad Axe area did well on White Russian Hooks. The 3 of us that fished 2 days kept 83 fish over 8" and the other guys ended up with between 60 and 70 fish each for the 3 days. The ice ran as deep as 18" in places but once we crossed into 30 FOW it dropped to 6 - 8". Sunday morning 3 guys were riding on the ice in the dark between Fox and Snake Islands at the North end of Cook's Bay and went through. 2 drowned. The entire western part of the lake is open water and reports from residents say that the ice in Cook's bay is OK only below a line from De Grassi Point on the West to Roaches Point on the East. Stay in the area East of Georgina and Thorah Islands and start around N. 44 deg 24min W. 079 deg 14 min. 32FOW and work around. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
92 Posts
I fished simcoe out of beaverton thursday afternoon till sat evening. Between 3 guys we brought 213 perch 8 inches up to 13 inches. Also caught a 32 inch musky let it go. and 1 herring about 10 inches also let it go because there protected. Had a great time going back end of febuary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts