Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who's been to Simcoe after perch...what kinda lures and such do they use up there for the perch? Also, we are gonna be on the ice in a "Cabin" for about 56 hours straight and I am wondering if there are any tricks or hot baits for nighttime Perch, Walleye and Crappies...Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Same tools that work here will work there. They do have a different type of spreader that is weighted to get down deeper quicker. You can pick them up at all the bait shops by the lake. Jigging raps work great too because they go down quick too. Biggest difference is the depth of fishing. It could be 25 feet or 50 in Simco as opposed to the St.Clair depths of 4-12 feet. Kens spoons work too, no bait except a bead on the hook, jigged aggresive. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Originally posted by IT pimp 2002
Kens spoons work too, no bait except a bead on the hook, jigged aggresive. Hope this helps and good luck.
I've seen the Ken spoons work well up there also. The guys that I know that do good there are mobile so you might want to venture out of your hut for a bit at times. Not sure how much that will help, these guys all have 4 wheelers and do some touring. Send Captain a PM, he's pretty knowledgable about the area. Also, tell me when your going and I'll try to get some up to date info for you. Good luck Don! Geez, you're getting to be quite the Perch fisherman! :)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I went a couple years ago and did real well on 1/16 oz. lead jigs in assorted colors tipped with a berkley micro power craw. They were tearing it up!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I think it was 2000 when I went. Most of my perch came on small lead jigs with micro craws, small jigging raps that I replace the treble hook with a # 10 gill hook with a perch eye on and very few on minnows. Good Luck.

·
Team Yukon
4,905 Posts
In Fact were leaving this afternoon. Marks and Kens hooks with either hard or soft beads are probably the best. Jigging raps and MotorOil tube jigs also work depending on the baitfish. If you can find slush under the ice it is usually producing collecting plankton which in turns brings up 4-5" smelt. In this case the largest jiggin spoons in your box are best...

·
Team Yukon
4,905 Posts
I don't know Mike in 12 years of fishing over there we have never used them. I have heard too many horror stories about them. Try www.fishinglakesimcoe.com and look under hut operators. The secret is to stay mobile and stay on the schools. We usually have between 12-16 guys covering a area to locate fish.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thanks for the info I have always wanted to make the Voyage but don't know anything about the place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've fished Simcoe for several years and the best I've done is in between Georgina and Thorah islands in about 12-20 feet of water. there is some rocks and gravel in that area and a shoal that the fish relate to and jigs and tubes in craw flavors seems to work pretty consistantly. I also prefer the Nils master baby shad over the rapala because of the profile and weight. I sometime superglue a red bead under the bottom trebble and that wont come off. Be VERY aggresive in your jigging actions and be sure to bounce the bottom every few minutes too. when you get em goin they will come right up under the ice and really inhale your baits. Another place to try is around the South side of Georgina between Virginia Beach access, about 2/3 of the way toward the island and a little to the right. There used to be weeds in about 14 feet of water and we caught everything around that area from perch, bass, whitefish, etc.
You really need to be mobile and make a move if nothing is biting. I've tried a hut once and we had to get out and move around it and try to locate the fish. I've not had very much success fishing at night except one time using wigglers, right on the bottom, and wow were those perch huge all 12+.
Be extra careful on regulations because the OPP will check for too many rods and registration and insurance and helmuts(DOT) if you have ATV or snowmobiles. Everyone riding with you must have helmut (no sharing) and must have rigid tow bar on anything being pulled to transport people.

hope this helps and isn't too late for your trip.

Phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
hey northern, long time no see... i havnt had a computer for the last 6 months or so, but im still alive! I hit simcoe about 4 years back. we bounced around the whole lake for a week. lets just say they are all over... but the really big pigs are in deep water by the islands. i also caught a 8 lb whitefish out there too. biggest fish i ever landed through the ice. heck of a fight! for numbers, and i mean big numbers, the river mouth has lots of good eating fish. those are some hot spots. Good luck out there.
p.s. the ice was only 19" thick when i went. thin enough to spud through, eh?

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
Captain is right the spoons, Marks, or as we call them Guster spoons. Are the key. I have been hammering the perch for the last five years on them. I haven't used a minnow on a simcoe perch once. No BS. Or a St Clair perch for that matter. Although during High pressure sometimes minnows are ok. Not for me though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts