Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/3

Killing pike under tip-ups, just wish they were not the size of a good perch! Lol

Sure wish this lake would change.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on 3rd lake south shore. Ice is great with solid 7" of clear ice. Just picked up 5-6 inches of powder snow so it slick out there.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Never got out. The open spots I seen last night were covered with the new snow. No way that ice could have froze over night. Had both my boys with me and didn't want to chance it. Only one truck in the dnr lot (1st lake) and the tracks where others had gone out were covered. Next time. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Got the to the 3rd lake before anyone else (hour + before light) and took the flash light out to the beach as something looked strange. To my surprise there was open water about 20' out maybe 5 yards wide for about a 100yd stretch going to the east. Saw some tracks on the shore ice before the open stretch so I walked out a ways and it was fine so I'm unsure why the opening was there. Then when some others got there they said all you had to do was navigate around it and they did by hugging shore to the east, even with machines, so I trudged my way out there as it started snowing like mad at 7am and never let up all day long. Went from no snow to 5" probably by 9pm when we quit and it was still coming down as it was this morning when we left Prudenville. There was at least 8" of ice and maybe 10" in some areas every single place I drilled a hole and it was good and clear but slippery as heck with the new snow. There was a slight breeze all day but the temps weren't too bad at all so it was a nice day.

As far as the fishing, not so much. I marked all kinds of fish for most of the day hugging right to the bottom in all the holes I punched except for a couple. I would have bet money that I could have got a lot of them to bite as I'd get them to follow up and back down but they just wouldn't take even the times when I knew there was more than one fish. I would have lost that bet, lol. I used minnows, minnow heads, small tear drops and spoons, gulp maggots, real waxies, small spoons, jigging raps, foo flyers, chubby darters, and every color and size imaginable. There was a mid day lull of not marking fish for an hour or so and then the last couple hours before dark I marked a bunch more but didn't catch a thing. I worked all depths from about 8' to 20' and all I got was a 17" bass on a tip up, a 19" pike on a tear drop/minnow combo both within the first 45 minutes, and a 4" perch on a tear drop and minnow later in the afternoon. I had two other really good bites which were most likely crappie just before dark where the bobber slowly went down the hole and I had em on for about 7 seconds each and then they popped off. Other than that there was only a very few other really light bites. My other two buddies didn't catch anything but they didn't fish all day like I did either. So it was fun to get out but the results weren't all that great. I would have been happy with even just a bunch of small throwback fish but that didn't even happen, lol. That's fishing. The good thing is it can only get better from here I hope. Good luck all.

Reactions: Bob Gallagher

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
The snow was a pain to walk in for sure. We ended up with 23 crappie, 1 walleye, 1 10" perch, 4 bass, 5 pike, and one bullhead! Fun time again with my son!!

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
The fishing is consistent, with the usual. Small pike and some panfish! Location and presentation is the key to that lake , like most lakes they have their holding spots per season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts