Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am headed to Lake of the Woods with a good buddy Duck Hunting the second weekend of October. :D:D:D To be honest I have only ever shot a couple of ducks in my time. I am however super excited. I really am not sure what to expect. Any0ne have any advice? He said the border crossing won't be a problem. What about licensing? How might I practice some wing shooting? I hunt Grouse quite a bit, but I am sure the shooting is different. What shot shells are the best these days? Chokes? Do I need a Back-up gun? Will my breathable waders survive? Anyone else going to be there?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You'll love Lake of the Woods the shooting is good and the fishing ain'y bad either. You'll be shooting a lot of fast flying divers! Your breathables will be just fine and as far as a choke I'd go with an improved clynder or Light Modified at best, but ya got to pattern it to know for sure. Shells I like Kents Fast Steel #2 for everything but everybody has their own opinion I have kilt a lot of Ducks with the cheap Remington SPortsman Steel. Just remember.....if ya miss it probably ain't because you were too far in front of them! Get out in front and SWING! You'll be hunting off points or in wild rice flats got to hit the migration and your timing should be just about right!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Take a box of shells and $20 to the launch on Lavasseur at 3 am on October 4th, throw some dude the money, hop in his boat, and you will learn everything you ever needed to know. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bluebill hunting on the canadian side is what I am headed up there to do. Six dozen BB dekes and two boats. For just us two dudes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts