Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ice fisherman,

I am heading out to Lake of the Woods at the end of the month to do some ice fishing. We are staying at a lodge on the Rainy River and plan to fish out of their shanties. Looking for advice as to what type of rods to bring along (length and action), any suggestions for jigs or dead stick setups and any other essential gear. I plan on bringing my own rods, flasher, and plenty of beer. Lastly, I've heard the 14 hour ride can be pretty brutal so if anyone has suggestions for stops or sights to see along the way I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and as always, tight lines!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Funny I JUST got done researching a walleye ice fishing trip to Lake of the Woods and what it would cost and came across this thread. I'm jealous. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
How was your trip, How many fish where's the picks, Just wondering how you did we are heading up around 1st of February, We are staying in a Sleeper shack. We will be staying with artisans resort
Hello ice fisherman,

I am heading out to Lake of the Woods at the end of the month to do some ice fishing. We are staying at a lodge on the Rainy River and plan to fish out of their shanties. Looking for advice as to what type of rods to bring along (length and action), any suggestions for jigs or dead stick setups and any other essential gear. I plan on bringing my own rods, flasher, and plenty of beer. Lastly, I've heard the 14 hour ride can be pretty brutal so if anyone has suggestions for stops or sights to see along the way I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and as always, tight lines!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lake of the Woods was everything we expected and more. Thanks to those following along and offering info. Feel free to reach out if you are planing a trip and want additional information.

Here is a summary of the trip:
We departed Gaylord on New Years day at 7:00am. Took the UP route and made the drive in one day. Ended up taking a little over 14hrs with multiple stops for gas and food along the way. Most of the driving was two-lanes but luckily we had blue skies and empty roads all day. We arrived to Sportsman's Lodge around 9:00pm and hit the hay for a 7:45am fishing departure the next day. Day one on the ice was our best of the two days. Within 10 minutes of being in the shanty we caught our first fish. We caught 35 fish between the two of us, most walleye/sauger except for one large whitefish. Most fish were saugers anywhere from 8-14". We did get into some nice eater walleye 14-17" long and we had one 21" slot walleye that we released. We ended up keeping our limit the first day (12 fish). Back at the lodge we had the restaurant cook up 6 fish for dinner so we could keep 6 more the next day. Each room offered a freezer to store fish. Day two was a bit slower with only 12 fish caught all day. Although the fishing was slower we caught a 27" beauty that helped make up for it. We also missed several very large fish, some of which were suspended 5-10' off bottom. We ended up keeping 4 fish the second day. In terms of equipment, I suggest two rods per person, one jigging and the other as a dead-stick. We found the 30" Medium action to be the best fit for the shanty and the size of fish. Although most fish were smaller, it was good to have some back bone when jigging a 27 incher. It was pretty obvious whether the fish wanted the jig or the dead stick and you can change your setup accordingly throughout the day. A flasher is also vital in my opinion. Sportsman's does rent them for $15/day if you do not have your own. After the second day of fishing, we departed Sportman's around 6:00pm for Duluth, MN. This helped break up the drive and only left us with 10hrs in the car the next day via the Chicago route. All in all, I would say Lake of the Woods truly is a bucket list fishery that caters to ice fisherman unlike anywhere I have fished. Witnessing the 1000's of shanties and ginormous ice highways on Lake of the Woods was enough to make the trip special, catching fish was just icing on the cake.

Tight lines!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Slammer1 With the lack of decent hard water this season, I've been researching a similar 2 to 4 day trip. Looks like you had a great trip. The feedback is appreciated. I'm debating on venturing with my own sleds/quads and portables. If I make the trip, I'll give some feedback.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think it's trip of a lifetime, Something we all should get a Chance to do once. So pumped can't wait, Having up to fish February 3rd through the 7th. Will be a Adventure. Love my wish fishing not happening down here in Lower Michigan. Friends were alter couple weeks ago said by the 3rd day his arms felt like they were going to fall off from Catching fish. Can't wait to get up there in God's country, And see how the other half live.good luck and be SAFE and hookem in the lips.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sorry for the word airs I'm voice texting Lol
I think it's trip of a lifetime, Something we all should get a Chance to do once. So pumped can't wait, Having up to fish February 3rd through the 7th. Will be a Adventure. Love my wish fishing not happening down here in Lower Michigan. Friends were alter couple weeks ago said by the 3rd day his arms felt like they were going to fall off from Catching fish. Can't wait to get up there in God's country, And see how the other half live.good luck and be SAFE and hookem in the lips.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you get a chance go check out Borderview Lodge. The fishing has been excellent and if nothing else the lodge has great food. We are heading there again in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I've been following this thread, and thanks for the updates. I have everything I need for ice fishing graph, Otter flip shanty, SxS to get out there, and an enclosed trailer to haul my gear. I've been debating about hauling the gear of just using their gear. The thought of all that gear spending a season sitting unused is killing me!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you want to be totally mobile then taking a SxS is fine but most people just drive their trucks out there. The fish are moving north so most of the resort shanty's are out 9-10 miles already. Each resort has it's own plowed roads. Plus it is very cold- minus 30 the other day. Stepping in to a warm shanty with the holes drilled out already is a nice way to go. The ice is 2 feet thick so you don't quite need extensions yet. Fishing has been a little slow lately but I noticed on the Borderview FB page they have been catching bigger fish. I am trying to get up there late next week. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Lake of the Woods was everything we expected and more. Thanks to those following along and offering info. Feel free to reach out if you are planing a trip and want additional information.

Here is a summary of the trip:
We departed Gaylord on New Years day at 7:00am. Took the UP route and made the drive in one day. Ended up taking a little over 14hrs with multiple stops for gas and food along the way. Most of the driving was two-lanes but luckily we had blue skies and empty roads all day. We arrived to Sportsman's Lodge around 9:00pm and hit the hay for a 7:45am fishing departure the next day. Day one on the ice was our best of the two days. Within 10 minutes of being in the shanty we caught our first fish. We caught 35 fish between the two of us, most walleye/sauger except for one large whitefish. Most fish were saugers anywhere from 8-14". We did get into some nice eater walleye 14-17" long and we had one 21" slot walleye that we released. We ended up keeping our limit the first day (12 fish). Back at the lodge we had the restaurant cook up 6 fish for dinner so we could keep 6 more the next day. Each room offered a freezer to store fish. Day two was a bit slower with only 12 fish caught all day. Although the fishing was slower we caught a 27" beauty that helped make up for it. We also missed several very large fish, some of which were suspended 5-10' off bottom. We ended up keeping 4 fish the second day. In terms of equipment, I suggest two rods per person, one jigging and the other as a dead-stick. We found the 30" Medium action to be the best fit for the shanty and the size of fish. Although most fish were smaller, it was good to have some back bone when jigging a 27 incher. It was pretty obvious whether the fish wanted the jig or the dead stick and you can change your setup accordingly throughout the day. A flasher is also vital in my opinion. Sportsman's does rent them for $15/day if you do not have your own. After the second day of fishing, we departed Sportman's around 6:00pm for Duluth, MN. This helped break up the drive and only left us with 10hrs in the car the next day via the Chicago route. All in all, I would say Lake of the Woods truly is a bucket list fishery that caters to ice fisherman unlike anywhere I have fished. Witnessing the 1000's of shanties and ginormous ice highways on Lake of the Woods was enough to make the trip special, catching fish was just icing on the cake.

Tight lines!
Dude ..u just gave me the boner of a lifetime..that’s what I’m talking about!!..I can’t wait..I even wake up thinking about it..never even crossed the UP bridge..I totally can’t wait and I hope i don’t die..but hell u only live once..following the thread..

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was on lotw friday thru Sunday. 2 guys 95 fish. 3 tulibee 3 eelpout 1 perch. Biggest eye was 19" we were out of long point in 31ftow. Glow spoons with dropper hooks were going strong. Fathead minnows ate all you need. Frozen shiners are available if you want to try them. We had 20" of solid ice. no issues with off road travel at the moment. Get out there! That lake and community are 100% friendly to fishermen.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You know it roofer, Definitely be a trip of a lifetime can't wait to get up there and get it done. Hopefully the fish are snapping.. Gonna be an adventure, Not just another trip lol

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Personally I am not going up there to fill the freezer, Going up there to have a good time fishing and hanging out fellow Michigan sportsman. Also plenty of other fish to catch besides Walleye and sauger. Plenty of Big jumbo perch. Be keeping my limit plus doing catch and release, To lot better than what we have going down here in lower Michigan, With no ice or badd ice, It's a trip to scratch off the old bucket list.
one daily limit in possession,
6 combined walleye/sauger. All walleye 19.5" to 28" are released. No more than 4 can be walleye. Only one over 28 may be possessed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts