Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year again and the nets are starting to show up. Bad news for Manistee fishermen this year. The Stones got their license back and they have 4 tugs tied up near the old car ferry in Manistee Lake.. Rumor has it they will be setting 3 nets a piece...The Stones are known for NOT marking their nets well and for NOT communicating their coordinates. SO BE CAREFUL.. I will post any info I get here as to locations. Ludington will have Battice as well but if he sticks to last years plan, he will cooperate and mark his nets well along with reporting to the Ludingtoncharter Boat Association their locations. The only net incident I heard of last year was a ghost net and that could have been anyones net. I also heard that Muskegon will have 2 tugs operating this year and if anyone has any net info for that area or any other area PLEASE POST IT HERE!!!! This will probably put nets from Grand Haven to Arcadia. Just remember to keep a pair or 2 of side cutters handy and keep your eyes open....It doesn't take a large wave to take a small boat down when the stern is anchored in a net!!!

Here is a link to LACBA's website..Check it often...If something similar becomes available for Manistee I will add it here...

http://www.ludingtoncharterboats.org/

LMF :fish:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Guys, especially new guys, should be reminded when fishing near nets to keep a set of good side cutters near your riggers. If you get hung up, and there is any waves, cut it loose. Its not worth sinking over. You're not gonna get your stuff back so don't die trying,,,

·
Registered
363 Posts
Would a few of you be willing to kind of explain what depths these nets will be set at and what fish are they targeting? I have looked at several of the posts so I kind of understand their layout. As I have posted before, I am a new salmonnut started last year. I fished out of Manistee starting in July. Just want to understand as much as possible. Cutters will be in the back of the boat. Thanks in advance folks. Rick

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick,

The nets are usually set in depths of 60 to 180 feet....The LACBA's website gives the latitudes and longtitudes and usually the depth of the pot. They generally extend up to 40 feet above the bottom of the lake. They are supposedly targeting bloater chubs and whitefish. But I am sure that is not all they net..They are not supposed to keep game fish but who can say. If a non-game fish will swim into a net then a game fish will too. If any of you fish Manistee, please be careful as stated before the Stones are not known to mark their nets well. On the plus side, there is a new "Sheriff" in town to help police the nets and he is not a Native American. He is a retired LEO and he is also a great lakes fisherman. I think this is going to be a good thing for us as sport fisherman. With this, I am not sure if the Tribe is trying to mend some fences or are setting us up for the inland fishing/hunting rights issue that is floating around. I would like to think that the bad publicity from the Stones, the bad press from loss of equipment, potential loss of life, and the No Nets bumper stickers that Capt Bob printed for us has done some good....Time will tell....

I hope this covers a few of your questions and if not, ask away and we'll do what we can to answer them....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take Five said:
Reports are two nets north of Manistee Harbor in 140 feet of water. So Far!

Wayne

They sure aren't wasting any time are they?

Wayne,

Do you have any numbers to go with those nets? And thanks for the info...

·
Banned
152 Posts
Don't they have to mark the nets by law?
Isn't it in their best interest to let people know where they are so they can stay far enough away?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are supposed to but that doesn't mean they will and are....

Here are the coordinates for the 2 Manistee Nets...

1) 140 FOW N 44-18.966 and W 86-22.571

2) 140 FOW N 44-19.421 and W 86-22.289

They are reportedly marked correctly....We shall see if they remain that way....And yes kvroom, it is in their best interest to mark them so others can stay away but if they happen to nab a few cannonballs and a bunch of tackle they don't care. As far as some of them are concerned the whole lake belongs to them. I would elaborate farther on their attitudes and such but I am sure you get the picture. A couple of years ago Battice would set nets with little or no markings. I happened to run into him one day and we struck a conversation over my NO NETS bumper stickers. I told him that sportfishermen were more than willing to share the lake and all we asked was the nets be properly marked and to convey their locations so we could stay away from them. He cooperated immensely last year and no reports were made that I am aware of other than the ghost net. And BEWARE!! THAT NET IS STILL THERE and the coordinates are posted on the LACBA's website...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks LMF. I am going to pull out the GPS this afternoon and enter the points listed. I have no need to tangle with those things. I also saw on 9/10 news a report of a new boat purchased by the tribe to act as a police boat. I hope they can control them. Rick

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
I also heard there is some activity between Muskegon and Whitehall already this year too. They have always been to the south, and may run to the north as well this year.

Let's keep an eye on these things and take the time to report them when they pop up, move, or break loose. For our own safety. :rant:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I see you got the numbers LMF. I am in a very sensitive situation that precludes me from reporting my true feelings about these nets. I have spent thousands of my personal dollars and countless hours of my time and was assured by the tribal elders of LRB that gill nets would never be set off the county of Manistee. I guess that trap nets must have not been in the equation. I will post as much as I can without jeopardizing my situation.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Details are sketchy at this time but it appears there are more nets in Manistee.

1) mid 19s in 134' of water

2) 24.7 in 58' of water

3) 24.06 in 120' of water

4) 23.05 in 135' of water

5) and 2 in the 6's

This appears to put the number up to 8...BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!

I am hoping to get a pm later today with the exact numbers...But the Stones probably haven't released them yet....And todays tidbit of the day...The Tribal spokesperson is also the man with the license to fish....Conflict of interest?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I finally got an email with the net coordinates in it....I was starting to think I was never going to get them...It looks as though we have 6 nets now in Manistee as none of the coordinates match the previous....It is still up the air about the nets in the 6's so if you are near there BEWARE as they could be there or they may not. Keeping an eye out for them is like wearing a condom...better safe than sorry!!! Even if you are not in the areas posted PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THEM as they could have been moved or they could have busted loose....Weather permitting tomorrow a.m. I will be out looking/fishing and I will post back if I see them...

134 FOW N 44-19.490 and W 86-22.249

58 FOW N 44-24.703 and W 86-16.680

120 FOW N 44-24.062 W and 86-16.615

135 FOW N 44-23.358 W and 86-16.811

Add these to the previous 2...

140 FOW N 44-18.966 and W 86-22.571

140 FOW N 44-19.421 and W 86-22.289

With the fatality last weekend downstate it is especially important to beware of the nets. They were in a 23 foot boat, they were swamped in less than 10 seconds and were not tangled in anything... It is supposed to be a crappy weekend for fishing with wind and waves so if you do venture out JUST BE CAREFULL!!!!! We've already lost one member this year and I don't want that statistic to climb.....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have heard that these 2 nets have been moved and are part of the 4 total but I can't verify it... If anyone fishes near there let me know or post it here....

140 FOW N 44-18.966 and W 86-22.571

140 FOW N 44-19.421 and W 86-22.289

BE CAREFUL!!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are the latest and greatest that I have to give you and as far as I know they are current as it is from someone that is reliable and "in the know"...The nets can and will be moved overnight at times so when fishing any port on the west side from South Haven to Arcadia be careful and keep your eyes open...When you fish Manistee or Ludington right now you can check here and I will post what I know but you also need to check the LACBA's website to find out where the nets from Battice are at as they could very well be in what we think of as Manistee waters. And also keep in the back of your head that you never know when you may "run" into a ghost net...Long gone is the time that we could set the autopilot and "doze" til we heard a clicker getting ripped....There will be more nets in Manistee as the summer gets here...As far as I can tell these nets are from 2 boats and they have 5 in Manistee...There is the potential for 15 nets as the rumors I have heard say they are licensed for 3 nets apiece..This will make trolling the edge of the shelf in Manistee like trolling through a mine field.....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no new news which I suppose is a good thing but I did want to make this current as the weekend is quickly approaching...Please take the time to at least jot down the coordinates here and be prepared for the unexpected...If I manage to keep 1 boat out of these death traps this year it will be worth it..

Good luck and safe journeys,

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!

It appears the LACBA's website is somewhat behind the times so I have some new numbers for for those that are fishing out of Ludington this weekend... These coordinates put these all south of the harbor so if headed north check out the Manistee numbers....

1. 145 FOW N 44-07.445/W08-28.910

2. 170 FOW N44-06.355/W086-30.163

3. 170 FOW N44-05.891/W086-30.424

4. 170 FOW N44-05.493/W86-30.748

5. 170 FOW N44-4.912/W86-31.222

6. 125 FOW N44-02.475N/086-31.941 This is the ghost net from last year that has yet to be removed...This may be the worse one as it is not marked at all...

I know that there will be several members over here this weekend, some that have left already...If any of you have phone numbers for them, please give them a call with the new coordinates...Tommy does do a good job of marking his nets but better safe than sorry...

The numbers for Manistee have not changed that I am aware of but still keep your eyes peeled and and your wire cutters handy as the Stones mark their nets with the minimal amount of buoys at best...

·
Registered
363 Posts
If this is not the right place for this please feel free to move it. I went out of Manistee this morning and another hazard that is in play is the dredge work they are doing. I saw the dredge a bit up river from the 1st street launch and then as I got to the lighthouse, I noticed large orange bouys. On the way out I asked the attendent there and was told that all the pipes for the dredge are in place and the bouys were marking them. I went out in daylight and they were very easy to see at about 100 yrds. If you are headed out in the dark, they may be a real issue. They are just out from the south break wall about 250 yards. I was going to take a quick run and check the net locations. Unfortunately my fishing partner was not feeling well and after only an hour of fishing started to get sick. There was a significant chop and roll this morning so I had to skip running out and checking nets. I am shooting to get out Labor Day. Rick

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This a real good place to post that...Keeps the Manistee anglers aware of the other dangers that lurk...Thanks for beinging that up....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts