Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any info on Lake Hudson south of Adrian? I hear there is some pretty good Tiger Musky fishing in this lake. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'm not sure about tiger musky but theres plenty of musky there, thats for sure. I've hooked a few while bass fishing but never landed them. I know a kid that caught a 52" musky while fishing for walleye back in early June of this year on a husky jerk. That thing was a monster!:yikes: Plenty of good bass also and decent pan fish. I've heard September is the best month to fish it for musky.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes there are tiger musky in there. DNR uses them for brood stock. check out the picture of the crappies out of there that they netted this last spring in my photos. Oct is best time for the muskys after turn over, all the way up till Nov. My son and I spend alot of time there. Great lake. Bigger the bait the better. Husky jerks are good so are top water buzz baits. Good luck.

·
Habitual outdoorsman
995 Posts
Just a technical note- a tiger musky is actually a hybrid b/w a pike and a musky (see here http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/difference.php ). The DNR used to stock tons of tigers all over the state, but they stopped that in 1991. Since then they have only stocked purebred muskies. The only tigers left in Michigan are the rare natural hybrids. Hudson is a broodstock lake for the DNR's musky program, and does have a very healthy population of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
D.N.R. told me they were. I took pictures of some of them. Compare them to the chart on the link you sent. I think you will see that it surely looks like one. Must be some confusion some place. I looked at the stocking data for the state and it says only musky. Got me? Thanks for the correction.

·
Habitual outdoorsman
995 Posts
you'd be surprised how many DNR personnel I've talked to still call them tigers! It's kind of a cool, catchy name that is hard to shake. and actually very few DNR biologists are very well informed on muskies. They are kind of a "fringe" type fish in this state you know!! Trust me, the muskies in Hudson are not tigers because you CAN'T take eggs and sperm from tiger muskies and make baby muskies!!! Tigers like many hybrids are sterile!! It is really cool to watch those egg takes though, I've been down to Hudson a couple times to observe it myself. I'd love to see the pics if you got some!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have downloaded some picks, don't know why it does not show a camera image on my posts. I do have an album on my profile page. This cool weather makes me want to get out there. Dad and I went this A.M. to bawbeese and got a nice mess of gills. Good morning for it. Hope you can see the pictures.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Also being a broodstock lake I believe the size lime is 50"....
And Duke is correct, regular muskies, not Tigers..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice catch Fishrod. We fished it all day Friday with no takers before switching to crappies with limited success. About 5 other boats out and I didn't see any of them having any action either.

Did you get the muskie on the troll or casting?

·
Registered
420 Posts
All day trolling.
It was our first time on the lake and didnt know where to start with casting.
Any size to the crappie?
FISH ON...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not much size to crappie we caught that day. We marked a bunch but everything we caught was small.

What did you think of the water clarity for your first trip? This was only our second visit to Hudson

·
Registered
420 Posts
Seemed a little muddy or something.
We marked lots of fish in all sizes all over the lake to but no takers.
I lied, we did also drift with crawlers on jigs and still nothing.
Ill still make regular trips there just in case.
Fish On...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts