Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is early. But I was thinking. One of our memebers own a cabin resort up on Lake Goeblgic(sp?);Bow hunter Brandon I think that it would be fun to try to get a MS duck camp going.

Like I said I know that it is early but if we could get a few guys lurking around the idea. We could start setting some ideas on the table.

Maybe we can twist Brandon's arm to maybe get a special MS sportsman price:evil:

Chime in and let me know what you all think?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I think it would be a great idea. You talking about hunting the Lkae itself? Or hunting around that area?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd be in! I'm from Iron River which is a little over an hour drive from there. I'd take a weekend to go home and maybe hunt a day with some MS members over on Lake Gogebic. Heck one of my best and oldest (passed down from my grandpa) duck hunting spots is in Gogebic Co. The far eastern edge tho.

Joe

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure the size of the lake but I bet we could get 5-6 groups on the lake without hurting anybodies hunt but keep the birds in the air. And if not we could go maybe to some little lakes around the area.

maybe Brandon can chime in to what the size of the lake could hold and maybe a little more information about the area!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Already had that discussion with Brandon a few weeks ago...he's working on the new website for the internet chapter of MDHA that several of us have gotten off of the ground.

Gogebic is a large lake in the west end. I've fished it, but never hunted it. Don't recall a lot of cover so to speak, so It would most likely be boat blind and layout boat hunting in the open water. Here's a link to map on the DNR website http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/GOGEBIC/LAKE_GOGEBIC.PDF

Like I said, Brandon and I have already discussed a possible fall '06 gathering, so I know he's up for the idea...don't have any clue about prices. But one thing I would advise is get some of the layout guys involved, because I think that would be your best bet on that lake.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,385 Posts
Hey Guys: I've never duck hunted but recently my 16 year old son surprised me when he said he'd like to try it someday. So I feel like I should "strike while the poker's hot" you know. If a group didn't mind having some rookies along we might like to join you as well.

Lake Gogebic is the largest inland lake in the UP - it's huge and adjacent to some awesome natural areas, like Bond Falls which rivals Taquamenon for sheer beauty.

I plan on heading over Brandon's way come May/June to check out his resort, meet him in person and pursue some walleyes ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would definetly be in and I also know of a few places other than the lake for a few guys to sneak into and blast some woodies and mallards. My family also has a cabin on the lake. So I am familiar with the access of many large beaver ponds. I would also be able to help Brandon out if he needs anything. Lets put something together. Also at night up there walleye and barley go hand in hand:evil:

Mykass

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
mykass said:
I would definetly be in and I also know of a few places other than the lake for a few guys to sneak into and blast some woodies and mallards. My family also has a cabin on the lake. So I am familiar with the access of many large beaver ponds. I would also be able to help Brandon out if he needs anything. Lets put something together. Also at night up there walleye and barley go hand in hand:evil:

Mykass
Hey mykass,
Is there enough shoreline/backwater/beaver ponds for boat blind hunting?
I guess I assumed the lake was cluttered with cabins and homes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes there is. There are only two river systems to hunt at each end with both having limited acces. Now over by the Bergland boat ramp there are many weedbeds to set up in and the bay is rather large. THe main lake has a lot of shore line but you better have a lot of decoy line because in portions of the lake it drops off FAST. There can be some really great open water hunting for divers on the BIG water. The only reason I dont hunt up there is the first weekend is worse than being on the bay. We see more wisconsin hunters over here for our opening seasons than we do locals. Kind of makes you want to deer hunt the first week or so. There are places to hunker down in the muck and there are more than enough places to hunt open water. I would recomend end of October but that is just me. I would have no problem going to some really close beaver ponds a blasting some of the locals and wait for the birds to leave the lake and hit the ponds. Our cabin is in the bergland bay straight across the lake from the public ramp. I think between Brandon and we could come up with enough ideas for spots for guys.

Mykass

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oh yeah one other thing Brandon if your reading this. I will not participate in any shenanigans that should take place at the locker room or the root cellar and tell the guys they cant shoot or ride the ELK:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mykass

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
just ducky said:
I would advise is get some of the layout guys involved, because I think that would be your best bet on that lake.
And, you know that has already happened within the MDHA internet chapter as well.....
:p :p

Like just ducky said....is sounds like there is going to be a hunt, under what name remains to be seen but....there prolly is going to be a hunt.

But...lets not bug him right now....he had better be devoting all his waking hours to getting the MDHA website (and the internet chapter web capabilities) up to speed. I dunno much about puters but, duck hunters (and ducks) are gonna benefit from the Michigan Duck Hunters Association having a much better website which will be interactive. Stay tuned on that...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'd be interested in openning weekend. To much happenning in Oct. Beaverponds get my vote.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Ok even though Lwing and Just Ducky have me scared to even post these days since all my time should be going into the new MDHA site I better ring in on this one :p

I would love to get a camp together this season for all the MS guys, MDHA guys, and even those fuge guys:evil: .

What I need to know from you though is would you guys prefer to have one person in a double or queen bed and have the prices a bit higher or double up and get the rock bottom price? I am going to put some special pricing together for the camp so I need to know..

BTW does anyone know where my last post is I swear I posted this same thing earlier today. :dizzy:

Oh and Lily its GOGEBIC :lol:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Bow Hunter Brandon said:
would you guys prefer to have one person in a double or queen bed and have the prices a bit higher or double up and get the rock bottom price?
Guess that might depend on who I am doubling up with....
:lol: :lol:

Can ya run the prices by us both ways? In my younger days, it didn't matter to me....the darned floor was fine. Age seems to bring with it more aches and pains and, I really would like to be able to get some sleep. But, some guys just look at price and would prolly be willing to deal with what they had to, as long as their was a roof over their head and some heat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
this sounds like it will be a lot of fun guys. brandon is my cousin and we went up there 2 years ago for a 3 day hunt opening weekend and it was a blast. the lake can hold a lot of groups of hunters it is plenty big enough. layout hunters would have a blast.. i know when we were up there opening weekend there were many rafts of bills, redheads, and buffies. ......also brandon and i found MANY small lakes just while driving the dirt roads scouting, and many were holding ducks.....im sure by that time also with him being up there for good he will know many more spots.. im palnning on going up there this summer if work and school allow it so i will be doing nothing but fishing and scouting.....could be a lot of fun everyone.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
estack said:
...i know when we were jup there opening weekend there were many rafts of bills, redheads, and buffies....
NOW WE'RE TALKIN ;) Ya see Lwing, ya take me out one time in the layout rig and I'm converted to them darn fish ducks :lol: Next thing ya know, I'll be spending $10k for a tender, $1k for a layout, a gozillion for all the dekes and gear.....come to think of it, don't say this too loudly :shhh: but I'm close to closin' the deal on the tender :yikes: I think the Alaskan has my name on it :bash:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
just ducky said:
NOW WE'RE TALKIN ;) Ya see Lwing, ya take me out one time in the layout rig and I'm converted to them REAL ducks
T'ain't nuttin quite like birds in your face....ya can watch or ya sit up and see what you can do....all under the watchful eye of the cheering section in the tender. It is a hoot for sure...and damned well worth all the work if there are birds working. To real duck hunters...it is clearly black and white....
:lol:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
OK I got some special prices together for the "Duck Camp".

I put together the two prices. The first one is with no double ups in beds and no one a roll away. That way everyone one would be comfortable.

I also put together a price if we were to take advantage of the roll always and only double up in the queen beds but not the doubles.

The first price was $28.00 a day and the second was $22.00 a day.

Here is what I decided to do. Let’s just stick with the $22.00 a day per guy price. If I only put one guy per bed and none on roll aways I can accommodate around 18 guys. Two people would be on a futon (separate queen size ones). They are good quality ones. IF the camp gets bigger than that we will need to start to take advantage of the roll aways and so on. Up to 18 I will just keep using more cabins till they are full.

EXCEPT for Lwing he is stuck sleeping with the labs on the floor :evil:

Speaking of dogs we do allow them. The old owners didn’t but its mine so I make the rules a dogs are part of hunting. If you bring your dog they are allowed in the cabins, you’re responsible for cleaning up after them and if you leave them in the cabin alone you have to kennel them so they don’t damage anything. There is a modest pet charge to cover the additional cleaning.

The cabins have bed rooms and then kitchens and a dining and living room area and should be really comfortable for a camp like this.

We also have a big community fire pit for sharing a barley and reliving the days hunts in the evenings.

Now we just need to wait and see when dates are set for the UP season. If they set the opener on the September 31 we will have an overlap with bow opener and I can tell you I am already half full for that week so it would be hard to hold an opening weekend camp. If they go sooner or later then we could swing it. That said a late October COULD be a really great camp up here. Lots of different type of birds could be taken.

I have been known to scout the birds a bit as you guys know. In a two hour scout I can check around 20 different bodies of water. In addition, I have lots of out of the way beaver ponds as well. Should be a good time no mater when we have it. Who knows maybe we could have a mini camp opening weekend and then full size one later in the season.

Oh and just to cover the lake size questions yes we can get 5 or 6 groups on the lake without affecting each other except for moving birds around. Hunting can be good on the lake but I have some many places up here we will have lots of options. Want to get some woodies and teals? We can do that. Looking for a mixed bag on the big water. Yep we got that to. SO BRING ON NEXT SEASON!!! I missed most of this one moving to this paradise.
:woohoo1: :woohoo1: :woohoo1: :woohoo1:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like a great time

by the opener we should have two boats to choose from (flat bottom w/ mud buddy and a big water boat)

we could bring both if people want to try different types of hunting

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Great job Brandon. Those accomodations sound heavenly compared to what my duck camp in North Dakota is like :lol: And from the sounds of it, we will have enough different groups bringing different rigs north (big boats, layouts, etc.) that we can hunt different styles too....big water, layout, smaller waters, beaver ponds, etc. Have you got a convenient boat launch near you so we could get boats in and out easily? That would be nice too.

Maybe we can advertise the camp a bit on the MDHA internet site....that is if you ever get it done....KIDDING, ONLY KIDDING! :evilsmile

1 - 20 of 26 Posts