Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article published Friday, February 6, 2004

6 fishermen rescued from icy Lake Erie

CATAWBA ISLAND, Ohio - A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter yesterday rescued six fishermen on Lake Erie after an ice crack cut them off from shore about two miles northwest of here, authorities said.

The men, whose names were not released, were not hurt, according to the Marblehead Coast Guard station.

Rescuers received a cell phone call about 5:45 p.m. from a concerned citizen, who told them that the men were north of an ice crack that was about 75 feet wide.

About 80 minutes later, the helicopter located the men and picked them off the ice without incident, the Coast Guard said.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I dont know if they were in trouble or not but you notice that a (concerned citzen call) if they had sno machinces crossing 80 feet of open water is not a problem. or if the ice they were on was connected at either end they were not in trouble.
I have had the rescue guys ask me to come off the lake and I have refused ( cathing fish at the time) I got off with no trouble as the ice was touching shore about 100 yards from were I got on. a lot of the time when the fisherman don't think its an emergency to get off the ice somebody elses opion causes the rescue. Each occurance is different.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean I use to wait the cracks out alot of times they will close up at night . I have been lifted off the ice only to go back and get my equipment with the coast guard watching.they allways seem to have someone around to get your stuff off the ice for a price;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts