Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good read!!

Who heard of a "seiche" before? First time for me..

https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2020/12/pike-huron-michigan-ontario-superior-erie-seiche/

Excerpts
"
A seiche event is a weather phenomenon that temporarily forces water from one end of Lake Erie to the other.

The elongated, fast, toothy eating machine is in general neither widely loved nor widely hated. In fact, as far as a sportfish goes, which it most definitely is, it is rather neglected. And in Lake Erie, more so than other Great Lakes, it also may be a victim of early spring weather events.

According to Stott, it was happenstance that he observed the effect of the seiche on Middle Harbor in 2017, giving him the idea for his doctoral research project on northern pike and the extreme fluctuations that affect Lake Erie wetlands.
“So really, my research has been trying to build on that first experience and quantify how much these seiches and the timing of these seiches in the early springtime can really be a driver in the year class strength of northern pike,” he said.
"

Not about Lake Erie but in the article
Wow .... incredible....
Colorado wildlife officials offer a $20 bounty on northern pike in at least two state reservoirs. The funding is intended to reduce illegally introduced fish and help prevent their spreading to downstream rivers – and the decimation of native fish.
Looks like this is true
https://www.9news.com/article/life/...voirs/73-1fbd18ab-cf09-405c-8862-2efe1498dcdd

Likewise, California law requires any northern pike caught in the state be killed by removing the head and contacting wildlife officials to report the catch.
This is true as well
5.51. Northern Pike.
No northern pike, dead or alive, may be released into any water at any time. All northern pike taken shall be killed immediately by removing the head and shall be retained by the angler. The angler shall notify CDFW that he/she has taken and possesses a northern pike by calling CDFW’s CalTIP telephone number (1-888-CDFW-CALTIP) as soon as possible, but not more than 24 hours after taking the northern pike. The angler shall maintain the head and body of the fish in a refrigerated or frozen condition, whenever possible, until CDFW collects the northern pike.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I almost learned about a seiche the hard way in Gibraltar at night by coming just short of ripping my windshield off on a bridge that I knew I could get under in the past.
Little Traverse Bay up here get them quite often with Petoskey's harbor getting mauled a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Good read!!

https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2020/12/pike-huron-michigan-ontario-superior-erie-seiche/

Excerpts
"
A seiche event is a weather phenomenon that temporarily forces water from one end of Lake Erie to the other.

The elongated, fast, toothy eating machine is in general neither widely loved nor widely hated. In fact, as far as a sportfish goes, which it most definitely is, it is rather neglected. And in Lake Erie, more so than other Great Lakes, it also may be a victim of early spring weather events.

According to Stott, it was happenstance that he observed the effect of the seiche on Middle Harbor in 2017, giving him the idea for his doctoral research project on northern pike and the extreme fluctuations that affect Lake Erie wetlands.
“So really, my research has been trying to build on that first experience and quantify how much these seiches and the timing of these seiches in the early springtime can really be a driver in the year class strength of northern pike,” he said.
"

Wow .... incredible....
Colorado wildlife officials offer a $20 bounty on northern pike in at least two state reservoirs. The funding is intended to reduce illegally introduced fish and help prevent their spreading to downstream rivers – and the decimation of native fish.
Looks like this is true
https://www.9news.com/article/life/...voirs/73-1fbd18ab-cf09-405c-8862-2efe1498dcdd

Likewise, California law requires any northern pike caught in the state be killed by removing the head and contacting wildlife officials to report the catch.
This is true as well
5.51. Northern Pike.
No northern pike, dead or alive, may be released into any water at any time. All northern pike taken shall be killed immediately by removing the head and shall be retained by the angler. The angler shall notify CDFW that he/she has taken and possesses a northern pike by calling CDFW’s CalTIP telephone number (1-888-CDFW-CALTIP) as soon as possible, but not more than 24 hours after taking the northern pike. The angler shall maintain the head and body of the fish in a refrigerated or frozen condition, whenever possible, until CDFW collects the northern pike.
Here’s a thread about a seiche on Erie back in November.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/crazy-wind.709351/

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Good read!!

Excerpts
"

"

Wow .... incredible....
Looks like this is true

This is true as well
5.51. Northern Pike.
Thanks for sharing detroitjim. I read a few of the articles on this link. Good info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts