Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A group of us have rented a place in Port Clinton this coming weekend to do some ice fishing and change our scenery from the Saginaw Bay. We are wondering if there are any other ice access points other than Camp Perry or Catawba State Park? I hear that the parking has been filling up very early i n the morning on weekends. Do the hotels right on the water allow you to take a snowmobile directly from their parking lot? Here on the Saginaw Bay, you can park at the end of just about any road with little or no problem and get yourself out fishing. The place we're staying is 3 blocks away from "Lakeview Park" which has a public beach, but does that mean you can access with a macine there as well? We're also only about a half mile away from the "Derby Pond" and waterworks(?) public area. I plan to call a bait shop down there today to see what they have to say as well. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm assuming you're new to fishing Erie...I wouldn't go venture off and try to find your own ways to and from a spot that's a good way to find yourself in some trouble especially after all the snow my advice is get to CP or Catawba early and follow the main trails out until you want to branch off a little ways...good luck

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We fish saginaw bay and are used to reading ice conditions, but I appreciate the info. Trying to save some time and driving.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The portage river comes out at port Clinton, there was open water where the river mets the lake last weekend. That's why no one goes out of port Clinton and on the beaches. Stay away from the river go to Catawba and just deal with the crowded conditions.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. No sense ruining a good trip by going for a swim. We have 8 guys going and truck and trailer situations will be interesting. Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts