Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Lake Erie algae bloom: Update

1698 19
Pretty good article

A long, strange bloom: Lake Erie algae acted very unusual this year
A long, strange bloom: Lake Erie algae acted very unusual this year
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
mother natures way of doing something. maybe some extra food for baitfish to get through a hard cold winter? they say the toxins are not much in the colder water
It is funny how they always have the reasons but never want to fix the problem or know how to.
Hmm how much will this help is to be seen.

Farmers,Farmers everyone knows the problem,it will never get solved .because its farming
Reactions: ajkulish and R.J.M.
Just remember the odd color & the thousands of fish found on the shorelines dead
Are you referring to the shad
Just remember the odd color & the thousands of fish found on the shorelines dead
Lake is in BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG trouble And the Muskie and Perch and the Bass
But the walleyes are safe? Whew[emoji28] j/k this is not a laughing matter. Maybe a petition to make all the farmers plant filter strips where the ag meets the shoreline?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Lake is in BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG trouble And the Muskie and Perch and the Bass
No one ever mentions fermi and nuclear power plants role in algal blooms. They must have good PR dept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What other Nuclear plants are on Erie, than Fermi? How are they affecting the Algae blooms in Erie? Everything I've read on this lays the blame on runoff from farming. Got any references, or just ideas?
No one ever mentions fermi and nuclear power plants role in algal blooms. They must have good PR dept

Blaming farmers in this instance is complete and total BS. It barely rained for 2.5 months this fall. There wasn't "run off" from farms, it was the solid waste spill in Ann Arbor that caused the bloom around Luna Pier/Monroe. Accident happened like October 3rd (?) nasty bloom was present and got a lot worse from the 10th (Columbus Day) all the way through most of November. We perch fished on the 10th, and it was disgusting. We pier fished (well tried) at LP twice and each time it was nasty as Hell. That wasn't a farmer.....that was AA's sewage.

I'm confused as to how a nuclear power plant could contribute to algal blooms. They pull water from the lake for cooling, and it gets released out the top as steam.

Blame lies on municipalities that do not have sewer separation near tributaries that drain into the lake. Dump a bunch of raw sewage into the Huron River, Maumee River, etc. etc. during July/August/September/October and watch what happens 3-4 days later. The bloom this year looked different because it was a different strain of algae, but at the same time it was also darker, because quite frankly it was literally raw sewage floating on top of the water mixed in with the algae. The air smelled like it does on the downwind side of the crap ponds at Muskegon Wastewater GMU.

Do farming practices such as spreading manure on fields ahead of rain events contribute to algal blooms? Yes, but at a far more reduced rate than say when a city loses control of the raw sewage and millions of gallons of it end up in the river and eventually the lake.
Reactions: Chessieman
From a scientific standpoint BFG is completely correct on this years issues. Governments accept very little blame when it comes to woke issues like the environment. Not very PC and Ann Arbor is the PC capital. This one was totally their fault. I remember when it happened and BFG said wait a week and see how the algae looks after this spill. Nuclear power plants would be a contributor if not for the massive cooling towers. The water that flows back into the lake is cool and has no radiation whatsoever. BFG, you are right about the family farmers as well. They are a contributor, but low on the pecking order. CAFO’s are the biggest culprit most of the time. The number of CAFO’s since 1990, in the Maumee watershed, has risen to over 2,500. That is a lot of poop. Most people think Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations are all beef and nothing could be further from the truth. The largest manure producer in the Maumee River watershed is a poultry operation west of Defiance, Ohio. It produced almost 200 tons of manure last year. That is a lot of poop. Pig operations produced more than beef and if you have ever lived downwind of a pig farm after manure is spread you know exactly what I am talking about. Chicken and pig manure is much more concentrated than cattle. Unless Ohio and Michigan regulate the heck out of these factory farms Erie will never recover. They are killing our our beautiful lake. I grew up in Sandusky, Ohio and I have seen Erie at her worst in the 60’s, I pray that never returns.
If Ann Arbor had a spill that created the Algae problem in Erie, why didn't it create a similar problem in Ford, and Belleville lakes? Or wasn't the spill in the Huron river, which forms Ford, and Belleville lakes?

2500 CAFOs in the Maumee watershed? That IS a lot of poop. And every time it rains, the runoff goes somewhere........

Here you go. But again, you won’t hear about “clean nuclear energy” being a contributor in the press

What other Nuclear plants are on Erie, than Fermi? How are they affecting the Algae blooms in Erie? Everything I've read on this lays the blame on runoff from farming. Got any references, or just ideas?
That is a great write-up. Where is the proof that the Nuke plants on Erie are dumping hot water into the lake, which then increased the Algae load? It is my understanding that they cool the water before exhausting it back into the lake. Also, the western end of Lake Erie has gotten to, or above 80* every summer I can remember. Has it gotten warmer in recent years, to cause the Algae bloom to become much worse?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts