Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never been more vindicated then I am now.

I’ve been complaining about Lake county doe permit since they went unlimited.

“Lake county has no issue killing does. Killing more does in lake county isn’t going to fix Jackson counties deer numbers.”

Lake county is the only county in Michigan shooting more does then bucks. Also notice the high population counties are killing 2 bucks for each doe. Universal doe tags have little to no effect in those counties.

Universal doe tags are a disaster for public land hunters and have zero effect on over populated deer areas.

· Registered
53 Posts
So you’re telling me ‘self-regulation’ doesn’t work??

Our friend group has been saying the same thing all year, and not sure if there’s a better county to prove that point. Lots of variables at play, and would guess that socioeconomic factors play a large role in that ratio as well. Not everyone from lake county, or folks that hunt public land in general can afford the privilege of “trophy” hunting. God forbid they get rid of APRs in years to come. Plus, I’d be willing to bet the non compliance of reporting is higher in lake than most farm country counties too.

And to boot, in an area with probably more mature oak forest than any other with near zero akerns this year. Tough year for lake county deer. Beginning to think the DNRs estimate of these new regs was like the water use estimate of lake mead based off of only a few years of water flow data without taking in consideration natural drought years.

· Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s not just lake county. Many of the surrounding counties are having similar issues.

Doe harvest is closely linked to access.

Counties with big sections of public land have no problem harvesting does.

Unlimited public land doe tags should be a criminal level mistake made by or DNR\NRC.

I’m still waiting for someone to point out the public land areas that are Over populated with deer. Could fix that problem with 1 Facebook post.

We have to stop punishing public land hunters because Hilsdale county won’t shoot enough does.

Rant Over. Lol. And yea I point this out to the DNR every chance I get. Sure would be helpful if more people were on board.

· Registered
14,420 Posts
It’s not just lake county. Many of the surrounding counties are having similar issues.

Unlimited public land doe tags should be a criminal level mistake made by or DNR\NRC.

I’m still waiting for someone to point out the public land areas that are Over populated with deer. Could fix that problem with 1 Facebook post.

We have to stop punishing public land hunters because Hilsdale county won’t shoot enough does.

Rant Over. Lol. And yea I point this out to the DNR every chance I get. Sure would be helpful if more people were on board.
I seriously don't get the public land doe tags.... Buddy and I have discussed this multiple times, we still have enough deer on the private we hunt but not the number we'd like.

We know our county pretty well and could put the time in scouting and hunting killthe does we need for the freezer off public not touching our resident doe population....

· Registered
20,991 Posts
I’ve never been more vindicated then I am now.

I’ve been complaining about Lake county doe permit since they went unlimited.

“Lake county has no issue killing does. Killing more does in lake county isn’t going to fix Jackson counties deer numbers.”

Lake county is the only county in Michigan shooting more does then bucks. Also notice the high population counties are killing 2 bucks for each doe. Universal doe tags have little to no effect in those counties.

Universal doe tags are a disaster for public land hunters and have zero effect on over populated deer areas.
Because of the new online reporting system this can be seen today........November 29th. With the other system, you could have made this observation next August.
You and a lot of others need to at least send an email to every NRC member before the December meeting.
Hope that you make some noise where it counts. It doesn't count for anything on this website.

L & O

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
Because of the new online reporting system this can be seen today........November 29th. With the other system, you could have made this observation next August.
You and a lot of others need to at least send an email to every NRC member before the December meeting.
Hope that you make some noise where it counts. It doesn't count for anything on this website.

L & O
Ya should advise to not forget to make a donation with that e-mail as That is all the matters to that ignorant group.

· Premium Member
14,022 Posts
Lake counties problems started when they discontinued the requirement of 40 huntable acres and a property tax number for a landowner's permit. Eastern Mason County has suffered likewise. People with a friend with an acre or two got landowners permits and filled them on public land. Public land in the area use to have almost no antlerless permits in an attempt to increase deer numbers on public land. With the current nearly unlimited tags numbers are not going to get better. Public land hunters have been their own worst enemy.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
Lake counties problems started when they discontinued the requirement of 40 huntable acres and a property tax number for a landowner's permit. Eastern Mason County has suffered likewise. People with a friend with an acre or two got landowners permits and filled them on public land. Public land in the area use to have almost no antlerless permits in an attempt to increase deer numbers on public land. With the current nearly unlimited tags numbers are not going to get better. Public land hunters have been their own worst enemy.
The DNR and NRC do not want the numbers to GET BETTER

· Premium Member
12,453 Posts

I could tell you ofa couple areas but most people do no t hunt them as you have o walk acouple f miles to get to them. I am in Missaukee county and one thing I heard this year that went away years ago is shots around 10 or 11 at night

· Registered
46 Posts
I seriously don't get the public land doe tags.... Buddy and I have discussed this multiple times, we still have enough deer on the private we hunt but not the number we'd like.

We know our county pretty well and could put the time in scouting and hunting killthe does we need for the freezer off public not touching our resident doe population....
I dont get public land doe permits as well since you can take 2 does with your combo license. They should just Get rid of the public land doe permits but they won’t because its a money grab.

· Registered
5,498 Posts
Isn't lake county a MAPR county ? So now you want to make it so a public land hunter can't kill a antlerless deer or a buck with less the 3 on a side?

· Registered
13,184 Posts
Agree on reducing the doe permits not only for Lake but also Wexford and Manistee counties as well. Enough of the killem all attitude. I've been serious when I've said that the numbers are Friggen low on public lands in this area. I'm sure guys that are surrounded by private will have a different view but most public lands in this area suck compared to what they use to be for numbers of deer. Hell hunter numbers are even down.

· Registered
5,720 Posts
Agree on reducing the doe permits not only for Lake but also Wexford and Manistee counties as well. Enough of the killem all attitude. I've been serious when I've said that the numbers are Friggen low on public lands in this area. I'm sure guys that are surrounded by private will have a different view but most public lands in this area suck compared to what they use to be for numbers of deer. Hell hunter numbers are even down.
You can add Osceola county to those too. The public land has become "fill your freezer land". I know of many landowners that fill their freezers with doe from the public land that refuse to shoot them on their private land. Nothing can be done that won't hurt the public land only guys. In my area the state has clear cut way too much at once. The hunters that used to hunt that land have moved to the little huntable land that's left. Between the crowd and lack of deer it's made the hunting miserable. Add crossbows to the mix and it doesn't look good for many years.

· Registered
214 Posts
Math quiz! Take the dnr reported buck kill with the new reporting. Get square miles of a county, wexford 575, multiply it by deer per square mile. Wexford about 20 according to a dnr map. Then figure out the number of bucks, thats tough, found that poor range has near 5 to 1buck to doe that would include all males even button bucks. Tell me what you think of those figures?? One could say most of the bucks are already killed?? Wexford. 1159 legal bucks as of today. 575sq miles x 20deer/sq mile=11,500 deer. Bucks with a 5 to 1 ratio. 11500 ÷6 =1916 bucks. Not a math whiz but that would suggest 1159 legal bucks, antler restrictions, are already dead from a total population of all males of 1916. Does this make sense??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 20 of 76 Posts