Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone fish or know much about the Manistee River in Lake City/ Kalkaska area? Dad just purchased some new property up there and is only 4 miles from the Lucas Road access, and the next one above this was the Rainbow Jim access? Wondering if anyone had some float times, or knows much about this section of the river? Please PM me with any info you might feel be helpful. I have a drift boat and am very excited to try this new water, also is true there is no other tak out point below Lucas Road? Just trying to get some info, and if anyone has a river map link of this area, please send it. All I can find is the lower river- Thanks

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I'm not sure of the access points in that section of river, but from CR697 (Lucas Rd) to Lucas Rd that runs south about a third of a mile west of the river, it is 2.46 miles to where it dead ends into the Manistee river.

N47 rd is 5.72 miles downstream from CR697 and Chippewa Landing is 10.16 miles downstream from CR697. US 131 is 11.46 miles downstream by river from CR 697.

Eleven miles is almost to much to float and fish in a day. It is 12 miles from Hoydenpyle to Red Bridge and although I have done it, it makes for a long day unless you have a small motor.

Even if there is an access at N47 RD, that is almost 6 miles and about as far as from M37 to Gleason's Landing on the PM. A lot of water to fish.

It is 4.84 miles form CR 697 upstream to Coster road which is the next river crossing. Much more managable and pretty good fishing as I recall. Haven't floated that section of river since the early 60's with my great uncle who was born and raised in Fife Lake. I know we use to end up at 131, but I don't recall where we put in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I fish the area you speak of quite a bit. I never go below Rainbow Jims however there are some monster fish down there. I hear of some walleye anglers down there that sometimes catch big trout. The Smithville to Rainbow Jims float is a long one but has some pretty good fishing especially early in the year. You'll get some real good sulphur hatches and some hendricksons right now. Streamer fishing is the way to go here when hatches arent happening. The float above this would be Sandbanks to Smithville and then above that would be Sharon to Sandbanks. Both floats are similar in length, a good 8 hour of streamer fishing. I'd say the Smithville to Rainbow Jims is a bit longer, maybe a ten hour day. These sections get a lot of canoe traffic in the summer so try to avoid that. The flies water of the Manistee isn't too far and that area is my favorite. Lots of big fish and not too many people at all, except during the hex time. The flies water also tends to be a bit more consistent. There has been a lot of days where I have gone fishless on the lower floats, but in the flies water I seem to always find some players.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hello dsmithgall

Theres no usable access below Missaukee [Lucas] area. The south side Splitshot mentions is a no go, all high ridges with no decent openings. Used to be able launch/get out to get out south of E2 rd on the northside but not anymore. Always been a beaver infested area and they've took out the road again. The only time it may be fixed will be if someone harvests more timber in there.

Not sure if Chippewa canoe livery will allow use of their launch or not, its really not far above M 131 anyway.

Want to know more feel free to PM me. SG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts