Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Ladder Stand Effect?

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  tommy-n 
#1 ·
I found a really nice corner/edge where I'd like to set up my ladder stand and hunt. It's a relatively tight area where the deer cut through and I am concerned that putting a ladder stand in the middle of it might make them alter their route. I don't want to mess this spot up for next season so I'll put the stand up early, but even then, I'm worried about screwing the area up. I could just use a climber(although not in the best spot, but pretty close) , but the ladder is a lot more quiet getting into in the morning and out of at night and I'd rather not make a ton of noise(climbing, packing up the climber).

Have you guys had this dilemma? Is the ladder and some tree clearing going to alter their pattern enough to ruin it for next season?

#2 ·
I understand this dilema and delt with it this year. I decided to put up my ladder stand anyway, but when I did I also put out scent wicks of Doe "p" around my stand. I think its made by code blue. I came back two days later to put on some ratcheting straps that I had forgotten and there was a fresh rub and scrape 15 yards from my stand. I was able to take my first buck this year out of that stand. I truly think that the scent made it seem to the deer that everything was "ok" in the area. I also take scent cover precautions. Climbers are great but I tend to only use them on state land and hate the noise they make.

#3 ·
Thats why now I only buy the hang on stand with the steps that latch on to the side of the tree. They seem to be more inconspicuous and don't just "stand out". It may or may not make a difference but they make them large enough and comfortable enough.

#4 ·
I put my ladder stand up in the second week of bow season last year. That day i missed (hit a branch) a nice 8 point. Came back the next week and was planning on hunting saturday night and all day sunday but was lucky enough to take a bigger 8 point saturday night. Good luck, just make it hidden the best you can

#5 ·
I have had a ladder stand set up on the inside corner of an alfalfa field for three years now. The deer in our area didn't seem to be bothered by it. We have had deer that literally walk right next to the ladder to enter the field and they don't seem to mind.

#6 ·
I have 5 ladder stands on the property I hunt and I can't recall seeing a deer wary of them or try to avoid them in any way. Mine have all been in their spots now for at least two years, most three or four, but I do plan on moving all of mine for next year. I will be doing so in early to mid-summer so that they have plenty of time to get used to them. Once they are there for awhile, they become part of every day life for the deer IMO.

#7 ·
I've never had an issue and I hunt 95% of the time out of ladders. I've had 2 deer over the years use the ladder as a scratching post while I've been in the stand. Last year I had a fawn lick the ladder rungs while I was in the stand while mom watched a few feet away. Ladders are quiet and easy to get into quickly as well.

#8 ·
I moved my ladder stand one morning after bow hunting. I had just gotten everything secured, and was taking it for a spin, checking shooting lanes and such. I leaned back against the tree, said this is perfect, and noticed movement over my right shoulder. I had to turn to look around the tree, and there stood a doe with a yearling. This was literally 2 minutes after I had pulled my bow up to the stand! it would have required way too much movement to get a shot off, as I am right handed, so I decided not to even try and enjoyed watching her walk back and forth broadside for the next 5 minutes!

Go for it, and good luck!

#10 ·
this year alone i have had more than one deer sniff and lick at the ladder below me, it dont bother them a bit, and it dont take long for them to get use to them, i am moving one this week for late bow season and plan to use the crap out of it

#11 ·
I now hunt exclusively out of ladders on one farm I hunt and will never go back to my hang ons there. I've put up wood ladders in the morning and upon returning for an afternoon hunt found a buck rub on the rail! However, if you feel that it will alter the movement go with a hang on with low profile climbing sticks just for your own piece of mind. Control what you can and it will keep your mental outlook better. Then you won't question whether you messed up the spot. My experience is that as long as a manmade contraption isn't moving the deer will not have any reason to fear it unless they catch you in the stand. At that point it doesn't matter what type of stand you used, you're just busted. Had too many mature does walk between the ladder and the tree to question it anymore, but many of my buddies wouldn't be caught dead in a ladder. Go with your gut on this one.

#12 ·
I have more than 30 ladder stands on 158 acres. Many of them have vigorous scrape areas under them. Five bucks of 3.5 or older age class have been observed, each within 30 yards of one of these stands this year alone. Unfortunately, I was not usually in the stand that they passed 2/5 times:lol:--but that does not matter. The question is, do the stands affect them? The answer is no. And you don't have to waste your money on scents and the like. If anything, some of them (store bought scents) may keep the older deer away until they are dissipated.

The most important thing is to make sure that the stands are placed by the end of July at the latest. Going into August is acceptable but placing them in September or later could affect the traffic for that year. The other thing is to make them unobtrusive. You don't want something that stands out and catches the eye of a passing deer--especially a stranger to the area who is likely to be a roving buck. Any time they look in your direction for any reason, well, that's a bad thing.

#13 ·
BTW if it is a very tight area you will want to precisely create the pathway they will take. You must prevent them from walking right under the stand and place them at least 15 yards away as they move through.

#14 ·
I just hunted all last weekend from a ladder stand that my buddy put up in bow season. I used Code Blue Doe Estrus dipped wicks in various locations within the vicinity of the stand. While I wasn't afforded any good shots, each morning there were new tracks on the trail at the foot of the ladder stand from the night before. Including a bit of sign on one of my wick trees (broken branches) five feet away from the ladder.

Good luck!! :)

#16 ·
how funny, it's not the type of stand you use, more so the hunting pressure that changes deer movement;)
Deer will notice changes in their home range, I've seen deer avoid pop-up blinds like the plague. Ladder stands being somewhat transparent probably look a lot more like sticks than the big blob of a pop-up blind. But deer are wary of some stands just showing up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.