Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
View attachment 590403 My max range is 80 yards and he came to 82 before entering the brush. A man of lesser ethical standards would have taken the shot but you don’t fill the wall with button plaques if you don’t hold yourself to the highest of standards. Feeling let down - could use a donut.
I'll buy

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Back from Alaska now, didn't want to come back. I have never experienced such beauty. I will be back soon.

Still undecided if I am gonna hunt yet tonight. I have a lot of stuff to put away and get a few things done since I have been gone, but they will still be there when I get back from hunting.

Saw some really nice bucks on my way home from Chicago last night. One BIG one standing in a field near Paw Paw @ about 5pm without a worry in the world.
You can put the things away when it’s dark. Get out and hunt. Have always wanted to experience Alaska

·
Registered
314 Posts
I sure would like to film a hunt with you, you're having an action packed day!

I hope that big boy comes back to you. I think we all want to see a nice crisp picture of him.
This is good observation stand and boy did I observe this morning. I've had eyes on deer non stop since sun up. They've been coming out of the standing corn like rats leaving a sinking ship. At least 15 different bucks but only 2 shooters, one 8 point that will push 140" and that big 10 point, which I think was this guy. Keep in mind that I can see 300 yards from this stand.
Screenshot_20201002-170355_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
View attachment 590403 My max range is 80 yards and he came to 82 before entering the brush. A man of lesser ethical standards would have taken the shot but you don’t fill the wall with button plaques if you don’t hold yourself to the highest of standards. Feeling let down - could use a donut.
I know you think you're a great hunter and all...
But you are up against a critter that is full time 24/7 survival orientated. Eluding hunter after hunter. Coyotes , and cars. Smaller bucks challenging him for dominance , (and they're all smaller than that bull) and who knows what else he's dealt with in his vast experiences.
He's no push over. No chink in his mental armor like some mere twelve point on a reckless teenager on Friday night chasing girls blindly mission, or bumbling into unforeseen trouble by throwing caution to the wind.

He had you pegged long before you saw him test you by sneaking through the first time. Lest you toss an errant arrow out of shear buck fever. And , he has your effective range limit figured to the inch. (Obviously.)
Till you can control your emotion and at least act nonchalant , he's going to keep picking up your predatory vibe of coveting of him , and that rack. While simply remaining out of range and aloft while refusing to yield the field to a mere mortal human.

Be careful exiting , and returning to the area. He might get too annoyed at your shenanigan's and decide to run you off. And with antlers like that to skewer you with...(Shudder)...

You might want to let someone know where you are hunting , just in case you don't return when expected. No sense leaving your crossbow out there exposed to the elements too long should you get carried off on those antlers to somewhere secret only Beau knows..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Live from work until this evening. Dad reported a nice 8 point, a 4 point, and a spike this morning. Sounded like they were in their casual feeding routine and not pre-rut chasing/defending territory/etc. Guess I'll wait another week to try the buck decoy?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I'm sure you're bummed right about now about not spending a few extra hours at the range extending your max distance.

If only you had The Kruncher....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've analyzed several pics of this TOAD and I'm convinced that he's past his prime (7+) and the overbight has held him back his entire life from growing the kind of antlers that get you out in the woods.
Might have to cull him this year. You can't say I didn't give him time to get it together.

View attachment 590395
From the picture he looks like a young buck.

41 - 60 of 143 Posts