Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we bought our house 3 years ago and I have a small koi pond in front of the house with a water feature. It's nice but some idiot years ago put a bunch of koi in our big pond in the back and now that's all that's in there. The ice came of and saw these stupid orange fish swimming around and thought what a waste! So we took a trip to imlay city today! They weren't quite open yet but took good care of us and said all we have right now is pike and Muskie..... I said great!!! Needless to say I dumped 10 pike and 2 Muskie in the pond. I have a good feeling the koi aren't gonna feel very safe! I hate those damn things! I'm guessing koi won't be visible in 3 months

·
Registered
443 Posts
If they are real koi and not goldfish they would be worth catching and selling. You can stock your pond and your freezer for what just what one large koi will bring. Hope your pike and Muskie enjoyed their high dollar meals. I know I never had a $500+ meal lol!

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they are real koi and not goldfish they would be worth catching and selling. You can stock your pond and your freezer for what just what one large koi will bring. Hope your pike and Muskie enjoyed their high dollar meals. I know I never had a $500+ meal lol!
They were bastard koi, I check with an expert and said they weren't really worth anything.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
My dad and I built a koi pond years ago at our house in Pleasant Ridge, just south of the zoo right on the other side of 696. It was about 20ft long 4-5 ft wide, I can't remember how many were in there but it was a descent amount. Once the birds from the zoo, herons, Eagles, and exotic looking things found it the fish didn't stand a chance. I can't remember how many times we'd sit down for dinner in the dining room and a heron would swoop in my dad would lose his **** running out there chasing it off. After a few years all were left were gold fish.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: been fun lately watching the pond. There's still lots of goldfish /koi but definitely less! I also picked up another Muskie and 8 bass. So we have 9 pike, 3 Muskie , and 8 Lm bass. My buddy and I tried to fish for them but no luck and we figured their bellies were quite full. The goldfish have really changed behavior too. The lay in the thickest grassy areas now where before they swam all over.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Update: been fun lately watching the pond. There's still lots of goldfish /koi but definitely less! I also picked up another Muskie and 8 bass. So we have 9 pike, 3 Muskie , and 8 Lm bass. My buddy and I tried to fish for them but no luck and we figured their bellies were quite full. The goldfish have really changed behavior too. The lay in the thickest grassy areas now where before they swam all over.
How big is the pond? Im looking at digging a 100 ft wide by 200 ft long ( 15 ft deep) pond and stocking it with perch, do you think that is a good enough size of pond for Perch and a couple walleye ? Im planning on dumping minnows in there for their food source.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How big is the pond? Im looking at digging a 100 ft wide by 200 ft long ( 15 ft deep) pond and stocking it with perch, do you think that is a good enough size of pond for Perch and a couple walleye ? Im planning on dumping minnows in there for their food source.
I think u should be just fine. I've fished very shallow small lakes that held perch well. Get fat head minnows for bait. They spawn quickly I'm told. I didn't get those yet given my goldfish issue.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given the depth have you thought about putting in a bubbler and sticking with trout?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bass were 7" pike were 12" Muskie were 16-18" I don't believe they can eat my largest koi but could easily get the small and medium sized ones. I bought them from imlay city fish farm. It's a cool place

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I love imlay city fish farm. I have spent a lot of money there. I had perch in my pond when it was first dug. They got to be 9+ inches and seemed to be doing good. Now I have zero. I stocked it with kamloop trout and they have disappeared also. I do have some big crappie that I see spawning and catch from time to time. The culprit I have been told is I have blue channel cats and they are big. Fun to catch but will eat anything in the pond. If you plan on swimming in it do not put bluegill in there. They will nibble you even the hybrid ones.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I love imlay city fish farm. I have spent a lot of money there. I had perch in my pond when it was first dug. They got to be 9+ inches and seemed to be doing good. Now I have zero. I stocked it with kamloop trout and they have disappeared also. I do have some big crappie that I see spawning and catch from time to time. The culprit I have been told is I have blue channel cats and they are big. Fun to catch but will eat anything in the pond. If you plan on swimming in it do not put bluegill in there. They will nibble you even the hybrid ones.
Yes channel cats are quite viscous predators and will eat the fish, boots and tires at the bottom of your pond. I haven't got any of those but almost did. I'm going to keep with the pike and Muskie and hope they do the trick. Yes imlay city was very nice. Was impressed they pumped the water and bag with oxygen and told me the fish would last a very long time with that. I only had an hour drive back but all the fish have done extremely well. I've lost 1 pike but not quite sure how. I found it three ft off the shore with zero teeth or claw marks. I believe it must have jumped out of the water and flopped the wrong way. I'm guessing a Muskie may have been chasing it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
For whatever reason, perch don't seem to do well in ponds, take that for what it's worth. Any well managed ponds I have saw were bluegill/bass oriented.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts