Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all heard about health care, mandated by the Govt. Some of us dont pay attention to it though.
A friend is a small time tax preparer, and his first few clients are starting to come in.
Guess what, NO HEALTH INSURANCE on 2 of 3. Poor folks, who get more back than they paid in. But not very astute. Looks like they will be fined and it comes right out of their tax return.

If you know of some poor friends, family, or co-workers talk to them. Nothing can be done about 2014. But the fines accrue monthly and the sooner they get proof of health coverage, the less the fines will be for 2015 taxes.

If they really are hard up, have them see DHS maybe there is help or free insurance.

·
Administrator
26,694 Posts
We have all heard about health care, mandated by the Govt. Some of us dont pay attention to it though.
A friend is a small time tax preparer, and his first few clients are starting to come in.
Guess what, NO HEALTH INSURANCE on 2 of 3. Poor folks, who get more back than they paid in. But not very astute. Looks like they will be fined and it comes right out of their tax return.

If you know of some poor friends, family, or co-workers talk to them. Nothing can be done about 2014. But the fines accrue monthly and the sooner they get proof of health coverage, the less the fines will be for 2015 taxes.

If they really are hard up, have them see DHS maybe there is help or free insurance.
If poor enough they can be on Medicaid. Less than 15k I believe.

I know one person that doesn't have it. Says he doesn't need it.:dizzy: Some day he will. He's 54. Never know when one might need it but today, tomorrow, next week, next month...... never know when. But someday he will.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If poor enough they can be on Medicaid. Less than 15k I believe.

I know one person that doesn't have it. Says he doesn't need it.:dizzy: Some day he will. He's 54. Never know when one might need it but today, tomorrow, next week, next month...... never know when. But someday he will.
Think we know the same guy!! He says he's not getting insurance. If he gets sick he just goes to ER and tells them he's homeless. He just got a pretty good inheritance from his parent's estate last year..A rude awakening is on his horizon...

·
Administrator
26,694 Posts
Think we know the same guy!! He says he's not getting insurance. If he gets sick he just goes to ER and tells them he's homeless. He just got a pretty good inheritance from his parent's estate last year..A rude awakening is on his horizon...
My guy says he doesn't need health insurance, thats what cemeteries are for. He would probably be willing to die rather than go thru cancer or a heart condition. He has nothing to live for other than himself. No wife, kids and doesn't get along with his mother or brother.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Guess what, NO HEALTH INSURANCE on 2 of 3.
I would not be surprised if we were to ask all of those people, which will be quite a few by April 15th, why they did not take advantage of the ACA or Medicade and they did not say "I didn't know about it."

Yes, there is a sizable chunk of the US citizens who do not have a clue as to what is going on around them. They do not pay attention to the news or to their own lives.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not be surprised if we were to ask all of those people, which will be quite a few by April 15th, why they did not take advantage of the ACA or Medicade and they did not say "I didn't know about it."

Yes, there is a sizable chunk of the US citizens who do not have a clue as to what is going on around them. They do not pay attention to the news or to their own lives.
When the file, they will suddenly be enlightened, and their return lightened by the IRS.

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
My guy says he doesn't need health insurance, thats what cemeteries are for. He would probably be willing to die rather than go thru cancer or a heart condition. He has nothing to live for other than himself. No wife, kids and doesn't get along with his mother or brother.
Sounds like a Veteran. God Bless!

·
proud to be a.......
8,883 Posts
When the file, they will suddenly be enlightened, and their return lightened by the IRS.
The fee for not having coverage in 2014
If you didn't have coverage in 2014, you’ll pay the higher of these two amounts when you file your 2014 federal tax return:
• 1% of your yearly household income. (Only the amount of income above the tax filing threshold, about $10,000 for an individual, is used to calculate the penalty.) The maximum penalty is the national average premium for a bronze plan.
• $95 per person for the year ($47.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $285.
The fee in 2015
If you don’t have coverage in 2015, you’ll pay the higher of these two amounts:
• 2% of your yearly household income. (Only the amount of income above the tax filing threshold, about $10,000 for an individual, is used to calculate the penalty.) The maximum penalty is the national average premium for a bronze plan.
• $325 per person for the year ($162.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $975.
The fee after 2015
The penalty increases every year. In 2016 it’s 2.5% of income or $695 per person. After that it's adjusted for inflation. By 2016, the average fine will be about $1,100, based on government figures.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I guess all the people out there that supported Obamacare are finally going to find out what's in it and the "Hope & Change" that they voted for (Unfortunately it affect the everyone - someone has to pay for it and the free Obama phone & free college education being proposed).....

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
the fine is generaly about half of what insurance costs, so its cheaper to pay the fine. if you get sick or injured go to the emergency room and they will take care of you and the rest of us can pay the bill

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
i wouldn;t blame him. if your that sick there really isn;t much sense in suffering through surgeries and chemo just to die anyway,, none of us are getting out of this mess alive anyway.
your better served with spiritual insurance ... thats the only way to survive .:fish:

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
For a couple of years I was continually scorned " you don't want everyone in the US to have insurance" and "health care is a right"
You mean to tell me after all of that, there are still people without insurance?

·
Registered
13,507 Posts

An awful lot of those people don't even file taxes, or pay property taxes. They aren't even on the radar of the IRS. I wonder if the IRS cross checks against welfare databases, to see who is getting benefits, and might not deserve them?

·
Premium Member
30,329 Posts
An awful lot of those people don't even file taxes, or pay property taxes. They aren't even on the radar of the IRS. I wonder if the IRS cross checks against welfare databases, to see who is getting benefits, and might not deserve them?
There are many computer programs on the state and federal level that do cross matching for income and income limited benefits. The state even checks against the dead file.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
That is not the job of the IRS. Their job is to collect the taxes. What you are concerned about is the job of the welfare agencies.

Also, see the reply to your comment from "petronius".

1 - 20 of 46 Posts