Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my favorite guttin knife here, and have some slight surface rust on it. Whats the best and safest way to remove it back to original condition? She did a good job this past season and I want to clean her up.
Natural material Font Wood Knife Blade

·
Registered
21,516 Posts
Oil and fine steel wool. Keep the wool lubed.
I've used scotch brite and water on lower "value" knives too. Leaves a different amount of crud but fine with me.

Don't store your blade in a sheath for storage after you clean it and lightly oil it. more so , not in a leather sheath.

·
Registered
653 Posts
A cloth wheel and rouge. I've the mistake of leaving it in the leather sheath a couple times.
Yep, when I was a youngster, I couldn't figure out why my knives got all sucky when I stopped working with them during school months... Even with a crap load of WD40 on them.

A bike mechanic eventually explained to me the limitations of WD40... It's better for cleaning than storing, and so on. Basically, it tends to turn into lacquer, which can harbor moisture.

It wasn't until I was 30y/o or so, that I stumbled on some proper reading about caring for a "nice" knife... "Never store in sheath"; another moisture harbor, and a major misunderstanding on my part.

Otherwise, the cloth wheel and rouge is how stainless is polished to that mirror finish during manufacture, and thus the same method can be used to restore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts