Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever been? it looks awesome from what i can see on google and hope to make it up then when i start school at LSSU. i would love to hear some opinions and experiences and any other places i should visit

·
Registered
173 Posts
One of my favorites. The family and I stop every time were in the area. I highly recommend it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
8,082 Posts
I have been there many times in my 69 years on this earth. It is one of my favorite memories from my annual trip to Gladstone every summer when I was young. There used to be lake trout swimming around when I was a kid.

If I remember right it is in Palms Brook State park.

Another neat place in that area is Fayette State Park. It is a restored iron ore smelting town. It is well worth the 18 mile in and 18 mile back out to go see it on the Garden peninsula south of 2.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good so far, from what ive read you can see straight down to about 45ft below the surface and it looks like its in 3 feet of water with a bunch of trout swimmin around. sounds like a real neat place and itd be neat if you could snorkel in it :fish:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Over 10,000 gallons per minute boiling up from below. Lots of big trout last time we were there.

·
Registered
552 Posts
it's neat to see. My parents used to have a cabin by Nahma not far from there. Really beautiful in the winter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's referred to as the "Big Springs". You park your car in the lot and walk down to the Springs where you board a raft and you pull it via a cable to cross the springs. As you pass over the main springs, you will see the water boiling out of the bottom below. Lot's of coins have been thrown overboard during the years since I was there. The Springs overflow into Indian Lake and you will see some great trout. The nearest city is Manistique.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Agree, it is a must see, and they are right, the water is much deeper than it looks. I also agree on Fayette, the last time I was there, they were just starting to re-do it. On the big spring, some pretty nice looking trout in there too.

·
Premium Member
15,076 Posts
anyone ever been? it looks awesome from what i can see on google and hope to make it up then when i start school at LSSU. i would love to hear some opinions and experiences and any other places i should visit

Just about every place in the UP has something to look at. Make sure you get to pictured rocks, Grand Marias, Taquanen(?) Falls, white fish point.
Get some maps of the water falls, always near a waterfall in the up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been there many times in my 69 years on this earth. It is one of my favorite memories from my annual trip to Gladstone every summer when I was young. There used to be lake trout swimming around when I was a kid.

If I remember right it is in Palms Brook State park.

Another neat place in that area is Fayette State Park. It is a restored iron ore smelting town. It is well worth the 18 mile in and 18 mile back out to go see it on the Garden peninsula south of 2.
I'll second this one. We spent a weekend at Indian Lake SP last summer and went to both places. Definately worth the couple of miles to each. Even the 2 kids, 9 & 4, enjoyed them both.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is a must see in life. Beautiful scenery and some of the largest brown trout you have ever seen. Too bad you can't fish there.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you have been there lately...you won't see many trout. I saw one small one...I was told the big ones were poached. It is still one of the UP's great places to visit. Don't get your hopes up though, just like everything else...man screws it up. No fishing or snorkeling in the spring is allowed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts