Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I fish solo a lot and have laughed at myself many times at my failed attempts at netting my own fish. 😂
Im sure a 19# king off a pier is no easy task, nice catch.
One of these nights I am gonna lose the net, came close twice now. The high water year I had to grab one by the gill plate and flip it up on the pier, crazy fish shot right down the pier, had to chase it and leave the net, it was about the same size.

·
Registered
684 Posts
One of these nights I am gonna lose the net, came close twice now. The high water year I had to grab one by the gill plate and flip it up on the pier, crazy fish shot right down the pier, had to chase it and leave the net, it was about the same size.
Few years ago I stumbled and fumbled the net while making an attempt at my wife's biggest king on the river bank. I tailed it with one hand and gripped up the head with the other. The crazy stories are the most memorable.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
MAN that really makes me miss those nights I use to throw 5-Eyed Little Leo's.

I gotta get back out there.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I went 0 for 1 fishing the harbor at FF unless gobies count. I got a couple of those.
I cut the head off one and tipped my jig with it for a while but didn't seem to help.
The one I hooked wasn't jigging. I got bit on a purple and white DD husky jerk casting. Lost it at the boat. Got me excited. Lit a fire in me. I'm all in now :)

Water temp on my sonar said 69. I didn't go out of the harbor the wind and waves were rough. Probably cold water out there.
Did get some eggs. Back up in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Yep, not sure if its cause its been 10 months since I hooked into one or what, but the one I caught fought like SOB. On its 1st run I had puI some tension on the spool with my finger it was taking line so fast. I was cranking on the reel when it stopped and changed direction to keep tension on the fish. At one point when it was closer and I had the light on it, it shot right across the surface like missile.

Have you ever had a problem using a rapala or any "regular" type lure with the hooks ? I know twice I have issues catching walleye with rapalas, once I netted one and found the rear treble in its mouth it pulled the wire right out of the lure, another time I was fighting a nice fish (not sure what it was) and it got off, reeled in and same thing the rear wire split ring and treble were gone. I know the one night I caught 5 kings on the same 5 dot cleo, next morning when I looked at the spoon the split ring was egg shaped and starting to seperate. Have had them bend hooks more than a few times, so for that reason have always stuck with spoons, plus they cast farther then body baits for the most part.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I fished Saturday afternoon in the rain, hoping the dim light would keep the Kings active. They were, somewhat, with beautiful Silver seen breaking the surface every 30 minutes or so - on the lake side only, whereas I usually see this more on the harbor side. Bait present, too; I could feel it occasionally bumping my gear, and finally snagged a small Alewife on a treble. Another cheerful crew of 4 was out with me; all of us trying every tactic we could think of including putting that Ale under a bobber. Alas, no hits for anyone.

I went back last night and casually asked the nearest angler, a classic over-geared 20 something from out of town, if there had been any results with the fish. He said “No.”

Two hours later, amidst a non-stop brag fest about fishing and hunting all over the USA among 2 crews of young anglers, the exact same guy asked me if I had joined in the admiring of the fish his buddy had caught just before dark, when they pulled it up for the other crew to oooh and ahhhh over. He had already forgot that he had straight lied to my face.

These same guys spent some time complaining about how “locals” tended to be gruff with them. Most of them were however quite enjoyable company, eager to talk fishing. That One Guy though, I just don’t want to fish anywhere around people like that.

No more surface activity last night, and no hits for anyone while I was still out. The east wind was consistent but moderate speeds a lot of the day, but with some south to it early on. Boats were “in close”somewhat, but also notably not close to the harbor, either. I expect some fish populated the big holes low on the rivers, but I don’t expect to try the pier again tonight.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, not sure if its cause its been 10 months since I hooked into one or what, but the one I caught fought like SOB. On its 1st run I had puI some tension on the spool with my finger it was taking line so fast. I was cranking on the reel when it stopped and changed direction to keep tension on the fish. At one point when it was closer and I had the light on it, it shot right across the surface like missile.

Have you ever had a problem using a rapala or any "regular" type lure with the hooks ? I know twice I have issues catching walleye with rapalas, once I netted one and found the rear treble in its mouth it pulled the wire right out of the lure, another time I was fighting a nice fish (not sure what it was) and it got off, reeled in and same thing the rear wire split ring and treble were gone. I know the one night I caught 5 kings on the same 5 dot cleo, next morning when I looked at the spoon the split ring was egg shaped and starting to seperate. Have had them bend hooks more than a few times, so for that reason have always stuck with spoons, plus they cast farther then body baits for the most part.
I’m not sure what you mean by “regular” lures. Yes, kings tear everything up. I’m actually surprised when I land one and the lure is NOT destroyed. I’ve never had a problem with walleyes damaging rapalas.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts