Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Finally arrived, can't wait to get in the ground!! A buddy of mine shipped me some seed today, the plots are ready to plant...and these seeds will be in soil and waiting for germination by tomorrow night. Finally that time of year and I am pretty pumped! Kind of like Christmas? :) Anyone know the feeling?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
0 Posts
Unless I miss my guess, those are some big bags full of brassica seeds?! :)

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the planting season, although I am going to have to enjoy the first phase of it vicariously. Dad is going to be planting our brassicas today, but I won't be able to go up and help him until it's time to put in the rye mix fields, in about a month.

Fall plantings don't start happening down here in central Indiana for another 4-6 weeks, and that's IF we get some rain. How many pounds of brassica is that and how much ground does that cover?

·
Registered
36,034 Posts
I know what you mean. I have already planted egyptian wheat for a 1/4 long visual barrier which blocks the view of soybeans followed by milo behind which forage peas are planted. If it wasn't for radiator problems I would have have sorghum sudan behind the peas. Behind the grass barrier I am going to plant a brassica mix. Everything is planted in long narrow strips north to south. It is rolling terrain where the valleys run east to west. The combination of hill-valley and high-low crops prevents viewing very much of the 17 acre plot from anywhere on the property except the shooting window of a tower blind that is 30 feet high. The tower blind also has a view of another soybean plot that is planted above a steep ravine. The 40 acre hayfield that these plots were planted behind has been drawing deer since it was cut and baled early this month.

I also have another 6 plots, located in the timber, that will be planted next week. These plots were sprayed this spring and disced several times this summer to get rid of weeds/grasses. We have had a good amount of moisture this summer so germination has taken place in a timely fashion. This practice has been slowly depleting the weed seed bank so broadleaf weed competition has been minimal. I'll end up with about 25 acres of high quality plots scattered around 280 acres. I'll be opening my Christmas presents sometime after October 1st. Can't wait. :)

With conventional sugar beets being in low supply and $8.00 a bushel corn my plots should be a great draw for the areas deer.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Jason...yep, good guess! My buddy is selling that blend...different rape, turnips and radish. Those are 4# bags...a 1/2 acre each. I spread broadcast all 3 acres this morning, and am starting to spray right now. Same here on the fall plantings...will be in about 4-5 weeks for me. I sure like being down here in WI to babysit my plots, cams, and waterholes this year...should be some VERY good early season opportunities!

Mike, man that's a LOT of plots!!! Hard to imagine that much food at your place, bet it will be a huge success...hoping I can see it soon maybe stop buy on the 18th?

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
I love ordering things and having them delivered. It is like Christmas!!!!!
I pull in the drive way from work after picking up my son and when he sees that brown box on the poarch he always says "Dad that stuff you ordered is here........are you going to open it"
Well heck ya.............Christmas in July!!!!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love ordering things and having them delivered. It is like Christmas!!!!!
I pull in the drive way from work after picking up my son and when he sees that brown box on the poarch he always says "Dad that stuff you ordered is here........are you going to open it"
Well heck ya.............Christmas in July!!!!
Gotta love this stuff! :)

·
Registered
36,034 Posts
Jeff I would be glad to give you a tour when you are here for the habitat day. Let me know if you need a place to stay, you are more than welcome. I have more than enough room at camp.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might take you up on that! I will just have to narrow down who is coming with me...Diane, kids etc...not sure.

·
Registered
36,034 Posts
I should have room for whom ever you bring. Just remember it's a camp. Which in UP terms means outside plumbing. I do have an inside shower so clean up is not a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts