Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some property in the CREP/WRP program. The cottonwood saplings are thick this year, especially in the switchgrass. I plan to mow then spray. Will Milestone herbicide do the job, or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Crossbow herbicide will take them out.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I've got some property in the CREP/WRP program. The cottonwood saplings are thick this year, especially in the switchgrass. I plan to mow then spray. Will Milestone herbicide do the job, or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks
Any chance the program can let you leave it as is? That would make for some even better bedding/ rubbing area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Icehog- I looked at Crossbow, but wasn't sure if the SG could handle it.
Cakebaker- I wish I could keep some, but govt., says no.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If your grass is established you'll be fine. Cotton wood is easy to wipe out with Crossbow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got a bunch in my warm season planting. A mix of switch, bluestem and indian grass. Some of the cottonwoods are as big as 3 inches in diameter. Will crossbow take them out? If not what is an alternative? I've chopped in the past but they come right back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jdk040- I have the same situation with the cottonwoods coming up in the CREP. My plan is to let them go until the USDA says that they have to go. At that time I will get my son, daughter in law, my granddaughter and a couple teens from church and hinge and chop. I was not aware of anything that you could spray to kill them. Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Isn't the timeline for mowing and spraying for CREP past due already this year? Maybe I'm wrong...I know you can disk in September.

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
I usually spray my switch with a common broadleaf weed control. In fact, this spring I sprayed my dad's switch strips with our Round one liquid lawn care mix. 17-0-5 fert, Triplet herbicide for broadleafs and Dimension crabgrass control. The Dimension had an EXTREMELY positive result on the foxtail which was a SERIOUS issue on my switch plantings in Hillsdale. It should be stated that the switch is now in it's second spring. Last year it was nearly overrun with foxtail. But, as usual, the switch is there. It just needs to get a little help to flourish against the foxtail.

Just today I did a spray on a few strips at home here. Triplet alone should control the last of my broadleaf issues.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Just checked my paperwork. It says no mowing April 1-July 30
Good find...You are correct...I have some autumn olive in mine to get rid of. Those things pop up faster than any tree or bush I ever seen. I think you need agent orange to get rid of those things..Lol...Let us know how your project works out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts