Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Kicklanding a fish?

2K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  Fishndude 
#1 ·
I have been doing some reading as of late and have discovered that many believe that kicklanding a fish is considered unethical. I am not talking about kicking a fish that you plan on letting go.... but instead one that we plan to eat.

Personally kicking a large fish ashore i have found is one of the most effective ways of landing a fish that doesn't want to be beached. A fish i plan on keeping i will normally kill a very short time after catching it anyway. I have even seen some people going as far as comparing the treatment of a fish to that of a dog or wife. Since when have we as fisherman given fish humanistic qualities?

Fish are food, they are "planted' for us to enjoy. While i may respect them i do not revere them. Reverance is for gods.... not fish.

#3 ·
I personally would try to keep my foot out of it, but that's just me. Strictly out of respect for another living being. I'm really not trying to get "deep" about this, (I know the vast majority of these fish are stocked for sportfishing.) but I do look at taking a creature (be it fishing or hunting) out of it's natural habitat should be carried out respectfully and ethically. As we all well know, the steelhead is one heckuva formidable opponent. The way I see it, if the fish is smart enough, strong enough, or just convinced that he's not going to be caught, then I guess he wins. And I don't have a problem with that.
Take care...Sid

#5 ·
Yes Lunker, that is what i am talking about. More or less i flip (kick) the fish up on shore with my foot. If i were to rear back for a field goal i think i would end up on my butt. I am not talking about rearing off and kicking the crap out of the fish either, just a little help getting it on shore.

#6 ·
You've been hanging out with Jason Hanson too much buddy!

Using your foot to beach a fish is a good way to loose that fish. With the winter conditions requiring you to use lite line, this method will enventually disapoint you with a line break.

Have a great and safe holiday!

Marc

#7 ·
Amen, Big Sid!

Personally, I guess I don't have a problem with someone gently nudging a fish onto shore with their foot. When it's one of those field goal attempts where the fish goes airborne, the yeah, I find that a bit offensive.

I guess what really offends me is the kick it up on shore and then take a rock and cave the fishes skull in display. That totally sickens me and is completely uncalled for. :mad:

#8 ·
yeah, thats a lot less humane than taking the knife to it two hours later. come on guys, give me a break. If you are going to keep the fish anyways, whats the harm in it? Why do I think when you guys get a sucker it doesn't get the same respectful treatment. Stop splitting hairs here, a fish is a fish is a fish (with very few exceptions, endangered or exotics for example). I am not saying that fish should not be treated with some reverrence, but I don't see what the deal is about flippin em up on shore. Why does everyone think that its all fun and games for wild animals out in the wild? I don't get it.

steve

#10 ·
Quest this thread is killing me.

I think you should play a fish in shallow water until it dies from exhaustion.
Or tickle-torture it to death.

Then eat it.

#13 ·
I guess for me, the bashing it's skull in repeatedly thing is not what I'd consider a pleasant sight when I'm out on the river trying to relax. Probably since most of the fish I see that receive that kind of demise are also foul hooked. So, I guess the combination of both is what leaves a negative image in my mind since most of the time it goes hand and hand. Rarely if ever do I see...um, what's a good word here...non-foul hooked fish keeping "anglers" do the head bashing with a rock thing.

And yeah...I put a sucker back in the water just as I would a salmon or steelhead that I don't intend to keep. I only kill what I can use within a short amount of time. I don't kill anything that I won't eat...

Personally, I don't have a problem with keeping fish, nor do I have a problem with C & R. I do both. What you have here is two different schools of thought: those who view the fish as nothing more than a food source (which they are) and you have those who's pursuit of these fish is more of a spirtual experience and thus tend to treat the fish with a bit more reverance than the afore mentioned train of thought. I happen to be in the latter, but neither is wrong IMO.

#14 ·
I guess I distinguish my experiences on a per trip or per day or maybe even per fish basis. Most of the time its just to relax, enjoy nature, and I don't keep a single fish. But every now and again, I like to keep a fish or two for tablefare. At that point, I don't beat the fish's head in, but I do not have to take the usual precautions that I do for C&R fishing (wetting hands, gentle handling of fish, try not to touch it at all to protect slime coat, careful removal of hook).

Maybe I'm not understanding the kicklanding technique, but isn't it just a bit more than a nudge? I mean its not like you're drop kickin the fish, you just want to basically nudge it onto shore, right? If you are gonna keep the fish thats legally hooked and legal size, i got no problems with it. If you were to release that fish, I'd be pissed. I hate when people mishandle fish then release em.

steve

#15 ·
I have moved fish further up the bank/shoreline with my feet, but wasn't going for extra pt either. I have seen people take actuall kick's at fish, and it disgusted me. I don't see any problem with moving a fish further up the bank/shoreline with your feet. As long as you are not kocking back and takeing full swing at it.

My $.02

#17 ·
Maybe I'm not understanding the kicklanding technique
Yeah, we just might be misunderstanding the exact definition of the "kick land" reference. I'm picturing two things: The nudge and the drop kick. The nudge doesn't bother me a bit since it's usually not practiced with any aggresive intent and is merely using your foot to slide the fish onto a beach. The drop kick (as I'm picturing it) is total aggression and the fish actually goes airborne on to the bank. The first one (the nudge) I don't have a problem with. The latter, yeah...I tend to not like seeing that, especailly when the fish is "released" afterwards. If it's fair hooked and they keep the fish after a drop kick...well, what can I say about it? It's not something I'd do, but I won't go as far as to say it's unethical or anything.

#18 ·
I just finishhed watching a hawk eat a cardinal in the yard, nature is a cruel place. The more hunting and fishing become a sport and less a harvest the more complicated the ethics.

#20 ·
I generally just turn my foot sideways and softly push the fish up on shore. And even then only if it is a sand or grass shore.

I'd be curious how many of the people that would be against this will net a fish, man handle it for pictures for 5 minutes and then turn into Mr.Greenpeace and gently try to revive it.

#21 ·
I guess when I hear the term "kick-landing", the obvious picture comes to mind. As TSS and others stated, a little careful coersion is one thing, but the drop-kick is another. I guess since I actually spend more time out during salmon season than steelie season, I tend to see a lot of ugliness and get a little sensitive on the subject. I agree that there are lot worse things to do to a fish. MSU mentioned suckers. Have you ever seen a stream bank when people are sucker spearing? Now that's sickening!
My 3rd and 4th cent...Sid

#23 ·
Wouldn't using the drop kick technique cause the fishes blood veins to explode and cause the meat to taste bad??? I have no problem with the 1rst landing technique as long as the fish is planning on being table fare. What gets me mad is seeing people bash fishes head in even if there planning on keeping them. Or, fishing with someone who like to break the fishes neck.

#24 ·
i don't mean to sound mean, but stelmon, you ever shoot a deer? or rabbit or anything?? I mean come on, sometimes its gonna involve some blood. It might not be your cup of tea, but it doesn't make it any less moral or anything. Bottom line, a dead fish is a dead fish. Now I personally either net when keeping (where netting is the most safe route) or beach my fish. Stay within the rules and good manners and I don't have a problem, be an absolute jerk or a violator and I'll be up in your grill. Just the way i see it.

steve

#25 ·
Marc, actually i normally walk back as far as i can and beach a fish. I try to have as much line out as i can when i do..... but sometimes the fish start flopping around in 2 inches of water, and i will walk down and give it a kick (nudge... whatever) up onto shore. I have yet to lose a fish doing that.... sometimes i am afraid if i put too much pressure and the fish is flopping that it will break off. So i give it a single kick up onto the shore.

Dan, just curious..... i would have to believe that killing a fish is actually more ethical (or humane) by breaking its neck or bashing its skull than letting it suffocate, no? That is if there really is a way to humanely kill anything;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would hate to see what some people would think when i dress a trout on the river. I think some may have a heart attack.... when they actually see blood on my hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.