Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 30ft. Sea Ray that I am trying to decide what size kicker motor to place on it. I am stuck between the 9.9 and 15 hp. I have been told the 9.9 will work. I want to know what other peoples experiences are with kicker motors. I need suggestions on which one will work better. The boat weighs 9,500lbs. Also I would like recomendations what motor companies are the best in trolling motors.

Thanks
Sarah;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a 9.9 Merc. for a kicker , on a 20ft. aluminum boat .Both motors , for that matter , are Merc's. They have been the MOST depenable motors ever .I have owned Johnson , Evinrude , and Mercury . The Merc's. have been WAY good to me .
My recomendation would be , a 4 stroke motor . MERC !!! I have also heard great things about Honda 4 stroke , and Yamaha 4 stroke . 30 ft. Sea Ray ( 15 hp. )

Good luck and Safe Trips ................ Walldady

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Probably has to be bigger than 9 or 15hp to make it work, I have a 15HP on my 25'ft Sportcraft....

·
Registered
347 Posts
How do you plan to mount that kicker Sarah? How about steer it?

I have a 30ft ray too.....I thought about it a bunch in the past but I don't need one any longer because I bought another boat that I use just for fishing. I am interested in what you came up with.

Here is my thought on the engine size though....never did it so it is purely spec that can be taken with a grain of salt.

It seems to me a lot of guys in popular make 21s and 22s use a 10 hp. Obv...that must work. The 30 weighs a lot more then most of the 21 or 22ft boats you see out there (assuming they are other rays, wellcrafts, etc). 11ft beam on yours right? Plus it has a lot more on top......which means it prob gets pushed around by the wind more. I am sure someone knows for sure, but if it was me.....I would go with at least a 15 hp on that boat that size. That boat is prob twice the weight of most the other boats that I see using a 10hp kicker.

Again, I never did it so I am not sure. Just food for thought. I don't want to argue with anyone either.....just spec-ing. There is always an exception to everything.....I am sure someone here has a 22ft boat that weighs 40k lbs that uses a 2 hp kicker.

Anyways, I think I know a guy who use to run one on a 27 ray (10 ft beam - v6s). When I see him, Ill see what he has to say.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Call Sea Ray.....or another boat dealer who sells boats about your size.....with a 30ft.boat you would not be satisfied with anything less than a 25h.p. kicker....if you're only using it to keep steady in drift jigging...then a 15 h.p. would do just fine...remember when using the kicker you'll be confronted with all kind of wind/wave conditions...:)

·
Registered
959 Posts
a 15 would work just fine but ya gota get a true kicker motor. I know with Yamaha they have the "T" series motors and they use sail boat props (high tork, high pitch) with Merc. its the Big Foot.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
spragu36 said:
I have 30ft. Sea Ray that I am trying to decide what size kicker motor to place on it. I am stuck between the 9.9 and 15 hp. I have been told the 9.9 will work. I want to know what other peoples experiences are with kicker motors. I need suggestions on which one will work better. The boat weighs 9,500lbs. Also I would like recomendations what motor companies are the best in trolling motors.

Thanks
Sarah;)
My boat weighs a little better than 4K and it can get a top speed of 4mph ot of my 20hp. I'd go with at least a 20hp. Not that you need the speed but I have a single I/O and this is also my emergency motor...

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Why not just use trolling bags???? With a boat that big, it'll be tough to handle with a little kicker back there....(as previously noted above).

Many places carry quality trolling bags.

There are also kicker extension brackets that I've seen on the web...do a search and you'll find them....they extend like 4' from the transom.

BFG

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree with the bags a kicker is uncalled for in your situation get a set of bags from west marine for your size boat. You will save money and be a better rough water fisherwoman because of it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Another thing to think about is going to a different typ of trim tab. In doing this you wouldn't need the bags. These " Trolling Tabs" tabs can actually act as a brake and are designed to meet trolling situations like this. It's just a thought but if I were going with a way to slow my boat down I would consider this method. Actually I'll be adding a set to my 22' this winter.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=trim%20tabs&cart_id=601002673&session_id=406442712&view_id=197633

There is a bracket that is used in a trolling application that locks these tabs in a full down position. This helps with not only the steering while trolling with a single engine but also keeps the trolling speed as low as say 1-2 mph. If you talk to the guys from Nauticus I'm sure they can come up with something that will get you what you need without the expense of a kicker or having to struggle with bags. It's a thought and just may be what you need.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Thats the first thing I thought too. Most captains I know with the bigger cruiser boats use a bag on each side(if they need it).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts