Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a 20' crestliner for salmon fishing as well as inland lake fishing with my wife. The boat was all we expected. I started doing research on the motor for spring prep and started finding I bought myself a possible problem. It is a "98" 175hp Evinrude Ficht. It ran perfect all last year with no problems. I have talked to several mechanics and the general agreement seems to be that slow speed is the real issue with this motor and it is not a motor to troll or run at slow idle for long periods. I have a 10hp kicker with a tiller handle on the back right now but I also have a 25 hp older mariner that is a remote electric start. This would allow me to navigate very nicely on the rivers and small lakes using the 25 and save the big motor for the big runs. Since the boat is about 7'4 across the back, the cables are way to short to reach the passanger corner where most folks run the kicker if I mount the control box next to the driver seat. To reach the corner I would need 20' cables. I can try and track some down but I am curious, is there some major reason most run kickers off the opposite corner of the driver? Is is just a weight distribution thing if the driver is alone? I also have an older tilt system off an older evenrude and may try to mate the two together. Just thinking and considering options. Rick

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You can put that kicker anywhere you want it. Whatever works for the fit and balance in your rig. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts