·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is it squirrel?

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love this mushroom when you can find it young. Mine above was fried in eleven herbs and spices much like the KFC Chicken you buy. Was a first try this
way and everyone loved it.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great find!! I have tried dried and vacuum sealed but never like the results. Have settled on enjoying the fresh and
always a treat. One mushroom I have never figured out. One year only new breaks or damaged trees - next year dead moss
covered only For us always Cherry and Oaks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have good luck sautéing in olive oil, no seasoning and then vacuum sealing in meal size qualities. When I’m ready to eat I just run them under a little bit of hot water to get the bag to release then into the pan still frozen. Medium/Medium Low heat with a cover till they separate, add in some onions and garlic, maybe a little white wine. Maybe not as good as when they are fresh, but still pretty tasty to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have good luck sautéing in olive oil, no seasoning and then vacuum sealing in meal size qualities. When I’m ready to eat I just run them under a little bit of hot water to get the bag to release then into the pan still frozen. Medium/Medium Low heat with a cover till they separate, add in some onions and garlic, maybe a little white wine. Maybe not as good as when they are fresh, but still pretty tasty to me.
Thanks, trying this approach now. It's the way I do most of my chants.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Love this mushroom when you can find it young. Mine above was fried in eleven herbs and spices much like the KFC Chicken you buy. Was a first try this
way and everyone loved it.
Looks delicious! Care to share the recipe?

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recipe as follows: 1 Cup Milk or Buttermilk - 1 Egg - splash of lemon Juice - Mix.
Dried Ingredients : 1 Cup flour / 1 tspoon Salt / 3/4 tspoon Thyme / 1/2 tspoon Basil / 1 tspoon Oregano / 1 tspoon Garlic Powder / tspoon Celery Salt

1/2 Tspoon Black Pepper / 1/2 Tspoon Dried Ground Mustard / 2 Tspoon Paprika / 1/2 Tspoon Ground Ginger 1 1/2 Tspoon White Pepper

I tossed and soaked the COW in the wet mix for 2-3 min. then tossed in flour mix - let set on wire rack for 10 - 15 min and retossed back in flour mixture.

Pan Fried at 350 in veg oil until golden brown. Placed on paper towels then plated and served. Credit for the recipe goes to Sauce Stache it's not mine. Ran across this last year
but had to wait until I found some mushrooms.

Plan to try this mix on some birds this fall!

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Recipe as follows: 1 Cup Milk or Buttermilk - 1 Egg - splash of lemon Juice - Mix.
Dried Ingredients : 1 Cup flour / 1 tspoon Salt / 3/4 tspoon Thyme / 1/2 tspoon Basil / 1 tspoon Oregano / 1 tspoon Garlic Powder / tspoon Celery Salt

1/2 Tspoon Black Pepper / 1/2 Tspoon Dried Ground Mustard / 2 Tspoon Paprika / 1/2 Tspoon Ground Ginger 1 1/2 Tspoon White Pepper

I tossed and soaked the COW in the wet mix for 2-3 min. then tossed in flour mix - let set on wire rack for 10 - 15 min and retossed back in flour mixture.

Pan Fried at 350 in veg oil until golden brown. Placed on paper towels then plated and served. Credit for the recipe goes to Sauce Stache it's not mine. Ran across this last year
but had to wait until I found some mushrooms.

Plan to try this mix on some birds this fall!
Thanks for the recipe and crediting Sauce Stache. Had not heard of him. Watched some of his videos. His bacon mushrooms look good. I'd like to try them using COW and the core of Hen of the woods. They would slice up nice like bacon.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the recipe and crediting Sauce Stache. Had not heard of him. Watched some of his videos. His bacon mushrooms look good. I'd like to try them using COW and the core of Hen of the woods. They would slice up nice like bacon.
Looking to try his lobster roll using lobster mushrooms. I was not trying to go vegan so use standard milk or buttermilk above. Still used a splash of lemon where as he used it to
thicken the nut milk. Also cut back a bit on the salt. Give us a report on the bacon if you make it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hey Dan- what’s the earliest you’ve found hen of the woods downstate? All this rain and a cool snap- I’m thinking of checking a few old spots in the Waterloo/ Pinckney area…

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I made KFC chicken of the woods tonight. Really liked them. Next time I will add a little poultry seasoning to kick up the chicken taste. Had a friend over that does not like mushrooms. He really liked them too. He was skeptical, but said it was just like chicken.

Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Cuisine

Food Ingredient Deep frying Recipe Cuisine

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's what were are having tonight. The earliest down state for us is 4th of July. Most of our chickens come from Alcona county - this past weekend started
seeing them on cherry. Oaks were all old. This weekend should be on fire for hens down state - Did have a mixed bag this weekend.

Food Ingredient Bird Recipe Cuisine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts